Hopper 3 without gigabit

bored28

Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Folks,

So I have a Hopper 3 and for some reason, it will not negotiate gigabit rates with my router. All my other gigabit capable devices connect up to my router fine with gigabit, but not the Hopper 3. Anyone run into this?

Thanks.

That's possible.

Probably you didn't get a response because most have found the wifi on the H3 is fine, even works well for streaming UHD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went looking right after you posted and could not find any hard core specs on the H3. I know that my HwS is 100Mbps (at best) and would not be surprised if the H3 wasn't also. There really isn't anything that these unit do that needs Gigabit connectivity.

Well you want specs on the Hopper 3... you got them.

Attached is the Hopper 3 Feature Sheet. :)

This file was downloaded from: http://www.SatelliteGuys.US America's Satellite Information Source!
From the Hopper 3 Feature Sheet pdf that was posted on this site somewhere:

Faster network and external hard drive access using GigabitEthernet and USB 3.0 ports

Connections (continued) Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 2

I would try the other ethernet port (whichever one of the two you aren't presently using) or try different ethernet cables.

I found a "Feature Sheet" PDF for the H3 here and it said everything in the world about everything except the LAN speed. Did find a conversation for the HwS and they said, as I imagined, "802.11abgn 2.4GHz/5.8GHz WiFi and 10/100Mbps Ethernet.".

That post by Scott Greczkowski that I linked to has a Hopper 3 Feature Sheet that Echostar evidently published and it says 2 gigabit ethernet ports on the Hopper 3, whether they actually have gigabit speed enabled I don't know. I'm waiting for the OTA recording issues to be resolved before I upgrade from a VIP722 system (seems to be taking longer than it should).

It could be the cabling. If the cables aren't of a high enough quality to negotiate a gigabit link, it will fall back to 100 Mb. Try another cable or a shorter cable run. Though as others have said, it really shouldn't matter as 100 Mb would be sufficient for everything the box does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)