Hopper 4(Is One Coming)??

If I can connect a keyboard to the Plus, and actually surf the net reasonably, I’m interested.

Scott- maybe you can report when the first person using that browser surfs SatelliteGuys. I presume that browser will be different enough to be distinguished from others.

If I can connect a keyboard to the Plus, and actually surf the net reasonably, I’m interested.

Scott- maybe you can report when the first person using that browser surfs SatelliteGuys. I presume that browser will be different enough to be distinguished from others.
You can use a keyboard with the Plus. :)

A browser will appear just like any other android browser in the logs.

Scott mentioned before that when he unhooked the Hopper+ he got a pop-up on screen asking him to reconnect the Hopper+. I don't recall if he ever followed up about rebooting the Hopper 3 to get that pop-up to go away, and resume normal operation. I suspect that the Hopper+ specific software is stored on the Hopper+, while the Hopper 3 would continue to be able to operate with the base Hopper 3 software. Otherwise, Dish would need two different Hopper 3 software versions for every release, and which version you get would depend on whether Dish has you listed as having the Hopper+ or not. While that is certainly possible, it does not seem likely to me. There would be too much chance of an error, with some people accidentally getting the wrong software by mistake, if that were the case.
After the Hopper + is disconnected from Hopper 3 and the HDMI cable is connected back to the Hopper 3 in about 15 minutes it will revert to just the Hopper 3 operating as a normal H3. No re-boot required.

Well, that gets back to dweber's question...

...Can the Hopper 3 go back to working as a non-Hopper+ receiver after a Hopper+ is installed?

I can think of a couple of reasons why someone would want to do that. First, suppose you have two Hopper 3's, and add a Hopper+ to each of them. Then, you decide that you want to sell a purchased Hopper 3, but keep its Hopper+ as a spare in case the Hopper+ for your first Hopper 3 dies. Would the new owner of your old Hopper 3 be unable to use it without also adding a Hopper+, just because you previously had a Hopper+ attached to it?

That brings me to the second (much more likely) scenario, what if your Hopper+ dies, and you don't have a spare? Hopefully, you could still use the Hopper 3 as a regular (non-Hopper+) receiver while you are waiting for your replacement Hopper+ to arrive. Otherwise, there are going to be a lot of pissed Dish customers if they lose all Hopper functionality just because an optional accessory dies.

Getting back to my earlier point about having a pay-as-you-go account, it would be very inconvenient if I had to return the Hopper+ to Dish every time I deactivate service, only to have to wait for Dish to send me another Hopper+ every time I want to reactivate my Hopper 3. So, I sincerely hope that would not be the case.
I think you miss my point-----which may be my fault. I think people are more likely to view something they paid for as their property than something they were given at no charge.

I think you miss my point-----which may be my fault. I think people are more likely to view something they paid for as their property than something they were given at no charge.
Well, if we had any pricing info available for the Hopper+, I would be happy to buy one, especially to avoid a commitment. So far, the only thing we have heard is that it will likely be offered as a free upgrade. If that is the only way to get one, then that is what I will do. Like I said, I would just hope that I would get to keep it as a free accessory to the Hopper I already own. If a commitment is required, that could be treated as a rent-to-own situation. My other concerns were already addressed, now that we know that a Hopper 3 can resume non-Hopper+ functionality once the Hopper+ is disconnected.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I wonder if the Plus will be treated like the dish or the Snap, with no expectation that they'll be returned when your service ends.

I wonder if the Plus will be treated like the dish or the Snap, with no expectation that they'll be returned when your service ends.
I was thinking the same thing. The Plus, like the Snap, could be seen as a necessary upgrade to restore basic functionality that used to work. In this case, that functionality would be a properly-functioning Pandora app, and any other legacy Hopper apps that may eventually cease to be supported.

I wish I still had my Snap. It was removed duringa service call.
eBay has lots of them list starting around $7.50 with free shipping:

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)