Hopper 4 (may be called Hopper X)

I was told before that the percentage number of customers who have OTA active on their receivers is in the single digits.

Don’t know the exact number but if let’s say only 7% of the people have an OTA tuner on their Hopper you could see why they wouldn’t want to build it in for all.

I would assume Dish has that same sort of data for hard drive use, which makes me think that the next Hopper will have a 2TB hard drive so long as those are readily available and cheaper than larger drive.

I would also guess a wireless Joey refresh comes before a new Hopper.

Assuming they are buying them in lots of 10,000 I’m sure there’s manufacturers willing to keep making them.

I would assume Dish has that same sort of data for hard drive use, which makes me think that the next Hopper will have a 2TB hard drive so long as those are readily available and cheaper than larger drive.

I would also guess a wireless Joey refresh comes before a new Hopper.

The Hopper 3 already has a 2 TB drive.

And the Wireless Joey was recently updated.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was told before that the percentage number of customers who have OTA active on their receivers is in the single digits.

Don’t know the exact number but if let’s say only 7% of the people have an OTA tuner on their Hopper you could see why they wouldn’t want to build it in for all.
Even so, Dish should still support the OTA guide data for those who do use it. There have already been multiple threads on this site about OTA guide data problems being caused by the repack, and the problem is only going to get worse as the repack continues. Dish should really try to get ahead of this, and have a department dedicated to fixing the problems with OTA guide data. Here are links to posts in a thread on the other site, regarding OTA guide data problems in my market, Cleveland, Ohio:
Dish OTA EPG issues Discussion

Even so, Dish should still support the OTA guide data for those who do use it. There have already been multiple threads on this site about OTA guide data problems being caused by the repack, and the problem is only going to get worse as the repack continues. Dish should really try to get ahead of this, and have a department dedicated to fixing the problems with OTA guide data. Here are links to posts in a thread on the other site, regarding OTA guide data problems in my market, Cleveland, Ohio:

I stated in another thread about the repacks that it would cause problems but nobody believed me. Sure they may be “minor” but problems are problems.

Reactions: pattykay
They should let us have an option to use the PSIP data for the sub channels that DISH doesn't use and we keep the satellite data for the main networks that they do carry on the satellite. OR like I have said before , let us use the internet to give us a full guide data for our ota channels and sub channels by using Titan Tv app. This would solve the problems for DISH having to carry all the sub channel data and would give customers the option to have full access to guide data for all sub channels too.

The Hopper 3 already has a 2 TB drive.

And the Wireless Joey was recently updated.

Right, I mean, I don't expect the Hopper 4 to offer a larger hard drive than 2TB unless larger drives are cheaper than 2TB drives. I have probably 50 timers set and have never gone past 10% usage, and suspect that most people are in the same boat. But I could be wrong!

How long ago was the Wireless Joey hardware updated?

Although several new TV’s still come with them for redundancy.
I found many many el cheapo HDTVs have no component inputs. Caused me to spring for a component-to-HDMI converter to use the 2nd HD output of my H3. BTW that converter has been working perfectly for at least a year now. Love it.
About two years ago. They have two different versions now.
So, about as long ago as this thread is old. ;) Got it.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay and HIFI
And here I was going to grouse about another resurrected thread and it’s Scott himself who brought it back!

So, I guess no Hopper 4 being announced at CES 2018, huh? :D

Seriously, though, it would be nice to have an updated Hopper and 4K Joey that supports all the new HDMI and HDCP protocols.

• Haha
Reactions: HIFI and TheKrell
Darn, and here I thought that Scott resurrected this thread about Hopper 4 on purpose. (In other words, subtle hint time, a way of leaking an announcement without actually announcing anything.) ;)

Supposedly, Dish is replacing Joey 3's with Joey 4's now, and Dish does not even want the Joey 3's back.
You're probably going to get new J4's. I had the same thing, they left the H3 alone but replaced all the Joey 3's with 4's for free. And they didn't even want the old ones back and to pitch them being they couldn't be activated. So I kept all the remotes from them and doubled up on all my Joey's and added another remote on the Hopper from the old Joey remotes. I like the older style (non-diamond shaped) remotes a lot better.

Never heard of a Joey 4. I'm sure that Scott would have mentioned something about it if it existed. I have, in my collection, Joey 1s and 2s that are not enabled and a Joey 3 and a Joey 4K that are. I somehow doubt that there would be a Joey called a Joey 4 when there is a Joey 4K. That would cause confusion as it seems to be here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)