Hopper always recording:

I can not recall ANY of Dish's DVR's every recording to buffer in standby, and I've had lots of different generations. TiVo is the only DVR I know of that does, indeed, always continue to record to buffer even in stand by. I don't know about all the flavors of cable co DVR's.

However, I do remember the old 50X's that were designed to constantly spin the HDD. But then a bit later, dear old Dave Kummer announced that they had changed that due to customer complaints (for those who had the DVR in their bedroom), and then sent an update to spin down the HDD's in stand by. Dave also said at the time it would help lengthen the life of the HDD's. In those days, HDD's were still expensive and not as long lasting at today. However, after the 50X/510, every subsequent Dish DVR would always keep the HDD spinning even it stand by, but never recording to the buffer. Not Dish DVR's. Although, I think there were like 2 or 3 times when I took my older DVR's out of standby and they had inexplicably had the buffers full. It was a quirk.

No Dish DVR's that I'm aware of were ever designed to continue recording to the buffer during standby. TiVo probably would have sued over that, too. :)

I miss the old Mark (Jackson) and Dave (Kummer) show (the old Tech Forum). It could be quire funny sometimes. Of course, the Charlie and Jim show could be riotously funny if Charlie got worked-up and when they had guests Charlie displayed a good sense of humor.

The 7100 & 7200 would put everything they could into buffer. I remember rewinding hours and hours and then recording it. SD though.

The DVR didn't actually record (or even tune to) the input. It just acted as a pass-thru (gee really?)

My 722k has never recorded to the buffer in standby, nor did my 625 that I can remember. Most people just leave their receivers on anyway. As previously stated, just turn off inactivity standby. However the receiver will still turn itself off every night during the nightly reboot. An auto-tune timer could fix that, though.

The DVR didn't actually record (or even tune to) the input. It just acted as a pass-thru (gee really?)

My 722k has never recorded to the buffer in standby, nor did my 625 that I can remember. Most people just leave their receivers on anyway. As previously stated, just turn off inactivity standby. However the receiver will still turn itself off every night during the nightly reboot. An auto-tune timer could fix that, though.

I've got an auto tune timer set for a news channel at 5AM so when I turn on the TV in the morning I back up an hour so I can skip commercials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts