Hopper and Home Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DFPope

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Alabama
I have 1 Hopper / 2 Joeys. Bridging is disabled. I have connected the Hopper to my network using 3 different methods. First I used a WiFi bridge. Had lots of problems with Joeys loosing link and getting black screen when changing channels on Joeys. Next connected the Hopper via cat5 through a switch fed by cat5 from the router. No more loosing link but still had black screen on Joeys when changing channels. Finally, rewired some of my network and connected Hopper directly to the router via cat5. Still had an occassional problem with Joeys black screen when changing channels. I also tried both ethernet ports on the Hopper. The Dish tech brought a new Hopper and I still have the same problems.
With no network connected to the Hopper, the system works perfectly. It appears to me that the Hopper just does not like to have a network connection in any form.
I noticed that with no network connected to the Hopper both it and the Joeys default to an IP address in the 169.254.x.x subnet which I assume is the subnet for the normal Hopper/Joey Moca communication. My home network is on the 10.x.x.x subnet so I can't understand why the conflicts are happening.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What firmware revision are you on 213 or 215/216?

Are the Joeys coax only, ethernet only, or both?

When you connect the Hopper to your network did you try enabling bridging to see if that would clear things up?? Also try running "Test Connection" in Network setting make sure it passes.. Also when you have the Hopper hooked up make sure your router is seeing it due to it sounds like your router is not passing the IP over correctly.. A 10.x.x.x address sounds like you have your router set to a static IP but even with that if it setup correctly it should pass a 10.x.x.4 and so forth to your Hopper..

I have 1 Hopper / 2 Joeys. Bridging is disabled. I have connected the Hopper to my network using 3 different methods. First I used a WiFi bridge. Had lots of problems with Joeys loosing link and getting black screen when changing channels on Joeys. Next connected the Hopper via cat5 through a switch fed by cat5 from the router. No more loosing link but still had black screen on Joeys when changing channels. Finally, rewired some of my network and connected Hopper directly to the router via cat5. Still had an occassional problem with Joeys black screen when changing channels. I also tried both ethernet ports on the Hopper. The Dish tech brought a new Hopper and I still have the same problems.
With no network connected to the Hopper, the system works perfectly. It appears to me that the Hopper just does not like to have a network connection in any form.
I noticed that with no network connected to the Hopper both it and the Joeys default to an IP address in the 169.254.x.x subnet which I assume is the subnet for the normal Hopper/Joey Moca communication. My home network is on the 10.x.x.x subnet so I can't understand why the conflicts are happening.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sounds like IP address conflicts or DHCP is having issues giving out IP's.

How are the joey's connected? Coax or ethernet?

When you connect the Hopper to your network did you try enabling bridging to see if that would clear things up?? Also try running "Test Connection" in Network setting make sure it passes.. Also when you have the Hopper hooked up make sure your router is seeing it due to it sounds like your router is not passing the IP over correctly.. A 10.x.x.x address sounds like you have your router set to a static IP but even with that if it setup correctly it should pass a 10.x.x.4 and so forth to your Hopper..

I am still on 213.

I have Moca only to the Joeys. Solo Node and 2 way splitter. The only ethernet connection is to the Hopper.

It makes me thing IP conflict as well but I can't seem to find any reason there should be.

Yes, I have pretty much tried it all. Bridging on and off. Tried test and reset network, reboot router, Hopper, Joeys, etc. My router does assign IPs correctly to the Hopper (and Joeys if bridging is on) within my network subnet.
My router range is set up for 10.21.50.100 thru 10.21.50.149 and assignments are made to the Hopper/Joeys within this range as indicated by the Hopper/Joeys themselves as well as my router client table.
Hopper: 10.21.50.105
Joey 1: 10.21.50.106
Joey2: 10.21.50.107

All of my coax is quad rg6 rated at 3Ghz and the longest run is around 60ft from node to any device. I even borrowed an Anritsu from one of my old co-workers and swept all of the coax as well as tested for ingress (I have a Nextel Tower about 600 yards from my house operating at 806-925Mhz). All looks good as far as the Moca path. The Moca levels are -15 and -16.

Maybe I will get 215 tonight and see if there is any improvement.

Last edited:
I am still on 213.

I have Moca only to the Joeys. Solo Node and 2 way splitter. The only ethernet connection is to the Hopper.

Yes, I have pretty much tried it all. Bridging on and off. Tried test and reset network, reboot router, Hopper, Joeys, etc. My router does assign IPs correctly to the Hopper (and Joeys if bridging is on) within my network subnet.
My router range is set up for 10.21.50.100 thru 10.21.50.149 and assignments are made to the Hopper/Joeys within this range as indicated by the Hopper/Joeys themselves as well as my router client table.
Hopper: 10.21.50.105
Joey 1: 10.21.50.106
Joey2: 10.21.50.107

Maybe I will get 215 tonight and see if there is any improvement.

So everything works when you have Bridging On?? Your IP assignment looks correct so what issue are you having?? Oh and Welcome Aboard! :)

Thanks, I am sure I will enjoy the forum.

With no network connection, the Hopper/Joey system works fine.

With network connected to the Hopper I will occassionally, not every time (2 to 4 times daily), get a blank screen on either Joey, at random, when the channel is changed or if I go back to live TV from the DVR. The issue is worse and more frequent if bridging is on.
When the Joey gets in this state I can still go back to DVR and watch a recorded event or call up the channel guide and select a channel, but every live TV channel I select is black screen with no audio. Also the channel banner says (No Information).
When this happens the Joeys are still showing that they are linked with good Moca level and the TV services menu shows the channel changes I make from the Joey. Looks as if there is no channel data being sent from the Hopper to the Joey.
The Hopper itself never has this issue.
The only fix is to reboot the Hopper. Reboot on the Joey does not help. It comes back up in it's previous state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)