Hopper and VIP211k on same Hybrid LNB

mcmahont

Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Wyandotte, Michigan
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice. So in my home I currently have a Hopper 3 and one Joey 3.0, I have the Hybrid LNB required for the Hopper 3 and a solo hub. In my camper I have a VIP211k and I want to be able to take it home and use it in the garage when its not being used in the camper. I really don't want to put up a separate satellite dish on my house for the VIP211k.

Is there anything I can do or buy that will allow me to use the Hopper 3 and the VIP211k on the same satellite dish?
Would a DPP44 work?
Note: I have 3 lines coming into my house from the LNB.

I've attached 2 diagrams one of which shows my current configuration, and the other diagram shows how I would want it all to work out.

Thanks, I would greatly appreciate any reply's.

Attachments

• Current Setup Diagram.pdf
    439.8 KB · Views: 426
  • Potential Setup Diagram.pdf
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 385
There are only 2 outputs on a Hybrid LNBF. Port 1 goes to the Solo Hub or directly to the Hopper, if no Joeys. A Hopper 3 (And a Hopper Duo), when plugged in, "kill" the port 2 output. The Hopper 3 cannot run off of DPP Technology, which is what the 44 switch is.

Your best bet is put up another Dish with a DPP LNBF, or if you want to get exotic, switch your dish back to a DPP LNB (Which I assume you had previously since there are 3 cables) and run the 3 outputs (2 for Eastern Arc) to a 44 switch. Outputs 1-3 on the 44 switch to a 42 switch and connect the Hopper to that. the 4th Output on the 44 switch to the 211. It's an exotic setup. The new Dish would be less expensive. Also, on your diagram, the power inserter on a 44 switch can only go on port 1

Thank you for that information, It was very helpful. Could both of the switches be powered off of the same power inserter? Where can I find the best prices for these switches?

I am unable to have a second dish because i have a large tree in backyard and the current dish is in the front of the house so theres no room for a second.

There are only 2 outputs on a Hybrid LNBF. Port 1 goes to the Solo Hub or directly to the Hopper, if no Joeys. A Hopper 3 (And a Hopper Duo), when plugged in, "kill" the port 2 output. The Hopper 3 cannot run off of DPP Technology, which is what the 44 switch is.

Your best bet is put up another Dish with a DPP LNBF, or if you want to get exotic, switch your dish back to a DPP LNB (Which I assume you had previously since there are 3 cables) and run the 3 outputs (2 for Eastern Arc) to a 44 switch. Outputs 1-3 on the 44 switch to a 42 switch and connect the Hopper to that. the 4th Output on the 44 switch to the 211. It's an exotic setup. The new Dish would be less expensive. Also, on your diagram, the power inserter on a 44 switch can only go on port 1
Couldn't i just use a DPP LNB to a 42 switch and the 1st output of switch to solo hub then to the hopper 3 and the second output of the 42 switch to the vip?

Couldn't i just use a DPP LNB to a 42 switch and the 1st output of switch to solo hub then to the hopper 3 and the second output of the 42 switch to the vip?
No, it wouldn't work. The way you're trying to do it is mixing 2 different technologies. It would be like trying to fit a Chevy motor on Ford Motor mounts..Now, just a hypothesis, but I wonder if using a Wally off the 2nd port of the 42 switch would work. You'd have to swap the 211 for the Wally, but that might work and yes, power inserter on both switches. This image for a 2 Hopper install, which is why it shows the extra Solo Hub

dp6.png

Reactions: charlesrshell

No, it wouldn't work. The way you're trying to do it is mixing 2 different technologies. It would be like trying to fit a Chevy motor on Ford Motor mounts..Now, just a hypothesis, but I wonder if using a Wally off the 2nd port of the 42 switch would work. You'd have to swap the 211 for the Wally, but that might work and yes, power inserter on both switches. This image for a 2 Hopper install, which is why it shows the extra Solo Hub

View attachment 144649
Why would i have to switch to wally? Is it because of the hybrid LNBF? If so I beleive the 211 is compatible with the hybrid lnbf because the 211 works with the hopper unplugged.

Thanks, Tim

I believe the Hopper shuts down the other outputs from the lnb when it is connected, IIRC.

211K's work on Hybrid LNB's and I would assume would also work on a DPH42 though I haven't tried it myself. I've posted proof here before with pictures.
Your right I have personally tested it with my 211z on a hybrid LNBF.

I've included a diagram. Can anyone tell me if our theory would work?

Attachments

• DPP42 theory.pdf
    910.1 KB · Views: 376
Reactions: JSheridan
Awesome, so that eliminates the need for a DPP44 now I just need the 42 switch. What LNB are you using with that setup?
I didn't know that about the 211, but I believe you're still going to need the 44 Switch. Best thing is to just try it with just the 42 and see what happens

View attachment 144649

Funny you should post that pic. Just the other day I found the 2016 CEDIAv2 Hopper Wiring Diagram. Not sure where I got it and totally forgot about it when I did my dual H3 install. The only change, for me, is I changed the Two Solo Hubs to a Duo and no Amplifier.

2016CEDIAIInstall.jpg

Reactions: HipKat