Hopper Back to 1AM Reboot (without warning)?

xfoneguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Duvall, WA
This is the 3rd night in a row (give or take) that my Hopper3 has restarted right at 1AM without warning, interrupting our viewing and splitting recordings - did I miss some change with that? This hasn't happened at all since I have had the H3 - I didn't think it was supposed to? This is like the "old days" all over again.....

This is the 3rd night in a row (give or take) that my Hopper3 has restarted right at 1AM without warning, interrupting our viewing and splitting recordings - did I miss some change with that? This hasn't happened at all since I have had the H3 - I didn't think it was supposed to? This is like the "old days" all over again.....
Are you sure you aren't breaking the supposed 72 hour rule?(meaning has a joey been left on) Has it really happened 2 days in a row?

I swear, if this 1am reboot thing hits my H3 i'm gonna start reading (and i'm legelly blind).

Last edited:
Reactions: xfoneguy
The other morning I had an "announced" reboot at 1am. For the first time I had the Yes/No screen pop up at that time. I was and wasn't surprised. I've been getting the reboot panel a lot after I turn on my HwS at 2:30, 2:55, 3:15. But it did not reboot while it was off/in Standby at 1:30. Now that surprises me (not really, more like aggravates), that it waits until I want to use it. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
This is one area where the VIP receivers had it over the Hopper because they allowed the user to set, within limits, the time for the reboot. Is there some technical reason why they didn't carry that feature over to the Hopper's?

Reactions: SandFarmer
This is one area where the VIP receivers had it over the Hopper because they allowed the user to set, within limits, the time for the reboot. Is there some technical reason why they didn't carry that feature over to the Hopper's?
No technical reason that I can see, Just another way that corporate America is taking away our right to choose!

Are you sure you aren't breaking the supposed 72 hour rule?(meaning has a joey been left on) Has it really happened 2 days in a row?

I swear, if this 1am reboot thing hits my H3 i'm gonna start reading (and i'm legelly blind).
i did wonder about that too but i double-checked to make sure nothing is recording between (about) 2AM & 6AM - I think that's enough time? And all the boxes are in standby by 130 or so. I'll be paying particular attention tonite in case it was a short-lived glitch.

Mine does.
My understanding is.... if the H3 goes 72 hours with out doing a guide download it will reboot itself with out warning in order to get the download.

To prevent this you must insure that at some point each day all units are off with no recordings. This can be done by manually going to each box and turning it off or setting the power off option to a time period you are sure will guarantee a download will happen. I suggest 4 hours.

If your H3 reboots EVERY night meaning 2 days in a row, you have a different problem.

I've gone the past couple of nights without this happening again so I guess I'll keep an eye on it and hope it was just some sort of "fluke".

It just happened again tonite - 1AM sharp - no warning at all - right in the middle of recording(s) and while we were watching TV. All the boxes were previously shut down overnight so there goes that excuse. And even so - why this "reboot rule" if there is no particular reason for it? It's just a darn PITA for night-owls who like to relax in front of the tube before "lights-out". DISH needs to wake up to this one or they're going to start losing subs for a "late-night viewing alternative".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts