Hopper Back to 1AM Reboot (without warning)?

After not having an "Unannounced" reboot for a while, all of a sudden this morning at 1am sharp, BOOM! Black Out and it was out for quite a while. I saw that a couple of people have gotten S531 (I think it is) and at the time I was wondering if I wasn't getting an update of some sorts due to the time that the unit was down.

Reactions: xfoneguy
Guess you & I are the late night tv watchers - I'm not seeing nightly reboots on mine, would be very upset if I was, hated it on both previous versions of Hoppers. If my H3 was behaving like yours I would seriously consider replacing it to see if it's a glitch in your software.
I should clarify here quickly.... maybe I had "nightly" reboots, or maybe it just seemed that way at the time. Since I've started keeping a closer watch on this, I think that what I am experiencing is probably in line with the so-called "72 hour rule". I still consider that a "glitch" though, even if it's "only" every 3 days. No warning, just BOOM! Screen goes dark for several minutes with no indication of what is going on. But I typically am watching TV every night from late evening until 3 or so in the morning. And so many series-recordings are happening in the background, the hours of which I am not totally aware of. So for whatever reason, DISH has decided that "people like me" just have to grin-and-bear-it. Unfortunately, I don't think this is really a bug, but just the way the system operates. I've been keeping a written log since Sunday, so I'll see what happens this week. Thanks tho :)

I should clarify here quickly.... maybe I had "nightly" reboots, or maybe it just seemed that way at the time. Since I've started keeping a closer watch on this, I think that what I am experiencing is probably in line with the so-called "72 hour rule". I still consider that a "glitch" though, even if it's "only" every 3 days. No warning, just BOOM! Screen goes dark for several minutes with no indication of what is going on. But I typically am watching TV every night from late evening until 3 or so in the morning. And so many series-recordings are happening in the background, the hours of which I am not totally aware of. So for whatever reason, DISH has decided that "people like me" just have to grin-and-bear-it. Unfortunately, I don't think this is really a bug, but just the way the system operates. I've been keeping a written log since Sunday, so I'll see what happens this week. Thanks tho :)
The real question is why does dish want to reboot the system every night. .. I only reboot my phone or pc when it starts acting up.

The real question is why does dish want to reboot the system every night. .. I only reboot my phone or pc when it starts acting up.
It all started with the 921, they had so many bugs with that system that they decided to do a nightly reboot to start each day out fresh. It did actually help that POS work better so DISH just decided to keep the practice of a daily reboot on every system since rather than write better code.

It all started with the 921, they had so many bugs with that system that they decided to do a nightly reboot to start each day out fresh. It did actually help that POS work better so DISH just decided to keep the practice of a daily reboot on every system since rather than write better code.
Seems like making that reboot time a configurable option could solve so many problems. Can it be that difficult? Or do you think there is a reason that they don't want to do so?

My thinking is they want all the system components to reboot at the same time, I don't know if it actually does or not.
That is the only reason that makes any sense to me because every system prior to the Hopper you could set the time.

My thinking is they want all the system components to reboot at the same time, I don't know if it actually does or not.
That is the only reason that makes any sense to me because every system prior to the Hopper you could set the time.
I have recently noticed my HWSs are missing recordings the next morning that the timers were set to fire in the 1 to 2 AM time. These 1 AM timers were due to conflicts during the normal program time. I have started moving some timers around to other Hoppers so this won't happen anymore. I will be so glad to go to Hopper 3 someday to get around the conflicts.

In all of these discussions about the reboots, there is something that I don't think I've seen addressed yet: why exactly is a nightly reboot needed in the first place? I can understand rebooting for new software. Guide updates are done "on the fly". But why a nightly reboot?
Actually it looks like "Spoiler" asked this as well... and makes a good point with our phones and PC's ...oh well, I'd still like to know too. :)

Maybe you would be happier with DTVs approach on Genies. The machine gets slower and slower over time until performance is unbearable and you have to reboot it yourself. Dish's approach is a sensible arrangement for the operating system, even if not perfect for all.

Maybe they are downloading VOD and other things like apps changes and small fixes that don't need a complete software download. It's not all Guide stuff. As xfoneguy stated, guides are done on the fly....

Yesterday received in my HWSs software version S531 22 June, 1:11 AM. I checked the Fsck date and time (Yellow - Blue - 3 - View Counters - Page Down) and it was an older date. Should the Fsck be the same date and time as the new software version? What exactly is Fsck? I know it seems to update daily most of the time.

Yesterday received in my HWSs software version S531 22 June, 1:11 AM. I checked the Fsck date and time (Yellow - Blue - 3 - View Counters - Page Down) and it was an older date. Should the Fsck be the same date and time as the new software version? What exactly is Fsck? I know it seems to update daily most of the time.
I'm guessing that is something specific to the HWS? I've never seen any kind of "counters" on the H3 - unless they are there and I'm just not seeing them?

I don't think you can see the counters anymore in the H3.
there is a "history" page now, that shows "notifications" and "resets" for all receivers ... maybe that took the place of counters. Otherwise they are very well hidden. I think you are probably right though.. Anyway, hopefully someone else with a HWS can answer your question.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Found this on a board that I've never heard of.... it was in response to many complaints back in 2014 so obviously the issue has been a source of irritation for many, and for a long time. Notice that it was "going to be fixed": (The "Dish employee here" line sounds a bit suspicious though)

"Dish employee here.

We are working on a software update for the Hopper system to where customers can change the update time.

No ETA on when it will happen, but your complaints are being heard and considered. We are doing our best to be a more progressive, forward-thinking company."

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/cons...update-system-comcast-time.html#ixzz4CQ1dDLam."

Coming SOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!:D

That is what DISH has been saying for years, when we ask common sense questions and suggestions to make their receivers work better. The hopper 1 and 2 have that sign pop up ,when ever you try to manually add an ota channel ,that you could add on any other older receivers. The hopper 3 just deleted the add button entirely , so I take it that we will never be able to manually add an ota channel like the older Vip receiver could. So adjusting the time for a reboot is one of those things that may be coming soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)