Hopper+ capabilities

BradleyD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Knoxville, TN
I may not be searching the correct way to find the information I want and I keep coming up with the 4k joey or joey 4, but not answers for what I am asking.

It is about the Hopper+. Assume all tvs are 4k.

I know the Hopper3 will do 4k and the Joey 4k and Joey 4 (wired) will also when it comes to satellite 4k. I also understand the wired 3 joeys will not if I am correct.

I know the H3 has its youtube app (don't care about youtubetv), but it does not display 4k youtube videos in 4k. Only 4k satellite programs do that . Likewise I'm sure for J4K and J4.

If one has a 4k television set, will the addition of a Hopper+ allow for the youtube android app or any other android app to display in 4k to a H3, joey 4k ( not that I care much about that), and J4 if the video from said app is available in 4k?

I do not know if I want a H+ yet, but the android app setup will certainly have changes (i.e. upgrades) over time which might bring those capabilities. I am trying to decide if I want to go the H+ route or another android app device (I have some ideas). Last, I understand the H+ needs some improvements, although I believe it may be getting better.

Thank you. Very helpful information. The ability to watch things like youtube vids in 4k which can't be done using the H3 yt app is a plus. It's almost like the H3 is only for tuners, a guide, a dvr, and troubleshooting a signal issue.

Last 2 questions and I will place them in this thread. The ads for the H+ are part of my confusion. I have a great H3 and I know it has tons of DVR space which is for the H3 and my current J2. The ads talk about a H+ and 2,00 hours dvr. Does a H+ allow more DVR space or is it just there for android apps and to allow say a H3 and J4 to access them while the H3 is the dvr and tuners?

Is ota still through the H3 for all tv locals using either the dish usb or that other device from a third party which I believe may have 2 tuners?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes 4K apps will display in 4K if you have a 4K TV with the Hopper plus hooked to it. Same goes for the Joey 4's.

The Hopper + was HORRIBLE when t first came out, but now its just as good as the Joey 4's no reasons to unhook it now.
I had the Hopper+ installed on the same day software 117 came out and it was laggy when doing the repeat or skip playback for both Live and DVR recordings which is also something charlesrshell experienced, wouldn't it still be the same as the software is still the 117 version?

Thank you. Very helpful information. The ability to watch things like youtube vids in 4k which can't be done using the H3 yt app is a plus. It's almost like the H3 is only for tuners, a guide, a dvr, and troubleshooting a signal issue.

Last 2 questions and I will place them in this thread. The ads for the H+ are part of my confusion. I have a great H3 and I know it has tons of DVR space which is for the H3 and my current J2. The ads talk about a H+ and 2,00 hours dvr. Does a H+ allow more DVR space or is it just there for android apps and to allow say a H3 and J4 to access them while the H3 is the dvr and tuners?

Is ota still through the H3 for all tv locals using either the dish usb or that other device from a third party which I believe may have 2 tuners?
The ads for the Hopper+ is confusing. They made it sound like the Hopper+ was a new DVR that had the capabilities of the Hopper 3 along with Android TV but in reality, the 2,000 hours DVR is the Hopper 3 and the Hopper Plus is nothing more than a Android TV interface so you can use Android apps, basically, the Hopper 3 is no longer connected to the TV via HDMI. What happens is the Hopper+ has two connections, it connects to the Hopper 3 using USB and then the HDMI to the TV connects to the Hopper+ instead of the Hopper 3. So in reality, the Hopper+ DVR is really the Hopper 3 DVR + another small box called the Hopper+ that basically takes over the UI and adds Android TV and also allows you to use Android apps.

I know the H3 has its youtube app (don't care about youtubetv), but it does not display 4k youtube videos in 4k.
I don't mean to hijack this thread. But, I must ask!!

Is there a difference between Hopper3's youtube and Youtube installed on 4K smart tv (as far as picture quality is concerned)?

I have a new Samsung 4K tv. (Not QLED, a budget tv that I like.)
I installed youtube app and viewed few nature/animals videos with 4K and 8K. I was impressed with better and sharper colors. My old eyes noticed the difference right away. I haven't tried comparing it to youtube on Hopper.
Now, watching the same videos with Hopper3's youtube will not give me the same result? In both cases, I am streaming with Internet.

I had the Hopper+ installed on the same day software 117 came out and it was laggy when doing the repeat or skip playback for both Live and DVR recordings which is also something charlesrshell experienced, wouldn't it still be the same as the software is still the 117 version?
My Hopper Plus & Joey 4s still have about two seconds delay using skip forward & back. My Hopper 3 is about 1/2 second. Other than that the H+ & J4s are rock solid.

Reactions: TheKrell
I don't mean to hijack this thread. But, I must ask!!

Is there a difference between Hopper3's youtube and Youtube installed on 4K smart tv (as far as picture quality is concerned)?

I have a new Samsung 4K tv. (Not QLED, a budget tv that I like.)
I installed youtube app and viewed few nature/animals videos with 4K and 8K. I was impressed with better and sharper colors. My old eyes noticed the difference right away. I haven't tried comparing it to youtube on Hopper.
Now, watching the same videos with Hopper3's youtube will not give me the same result? In both cases, I am streaming with Internet.
Dont believe the Hopper 3 supports the current codec they use for 4K video. However the Hopper Plus and Joey 4's do.

My Hopper Plus & Joey 4s still have about two seconds delay using skip forward & back. My Hopper 3 is about 1/2 second. Other than that the H+ & J4s are rock solid.
Same here and that is what is driving me up the wall is the lag. I still haven't reconnected the Hopper+ yet and hopefully there will be newer software soon.

Same here and that is what is driving me up the wall is the lag. I still haven't reconnected the Hopper+ yet and hopefully there will be newer software soon.
This continues to be a focus area for improvement with our ATV receivers - the experience isn't close enough to the regular XIP/ZIP experience and we're aware and working on fixing it through software.

This continues to be a focus area for improvement with our ATV receivers - the experience isn't close enough to the regular XIP/ZIP experience and we're aware and working on fixing it through software.
Got to give them a LOT of credit, it is much... much better then it was before. That team has been doing amazing work.

I don't mind the lag that much but, it drives my wife crazy. She is a school teacher!!! Once the lag issue is fixed, I am going to move my Plus from my backup Hopper 3 to my primary Hopper 3. Can't wait, sure enjoy the Android features in the Plus & Joey 4s.

Reactions: Almighty1
Got to give them a LOT of credit, it is much... much better then it was before. That team has been doing amazing work.
It's improved a ton compared to when it first launched that is for sure. Still a lot of work to do going forward to get it to the standard of the hopper 3 but we'll get there.

I don't mind the lag that much but, it drives my wife crazy. She is a school teacher!!! Once the lag issue is fixed, I am going to move my Plus from my backup Hopper 3 to my primary Hopper 3. Can't wait, sure enjoy the Android features in the Plus & Joey 4s.
I think if I never saw the Hopper 3 without the Hopper+, then I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much. Ofcourse for the regular public, I am sure they would have notice the lag too especially when responses has a delay.

Hopefully it is something that can be fixed by software and not a limitation of the hardware itself where the processing power is under the requirements needed.