Hopper Commercial Misleading

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Saw our first commercial for the Hopper. Ugh....

It does say up to 6 tuners, but doesn't mention the requirement of 2 Hoppers to get that. DISH should have mentioned that in the commercial.

I've watched a few of the Hopper commercials, don't remember them ever saying '6 tuners'. They do say up to 6 recordings at once, which is true.

no but it says "record up to 6 things" but doesnt tell you (or better yet throws it at the end in 1/2 size font) that its only 3 hours a night

It would be like me saying the HR34 can record up to 10 things at once...but that would only be is I recorded back to back shows on 5 tuners and it records the overlap ;)

Almost all ads are somewhat misleading, it isn't like E* is the only one, and certainly compared to all too many of D* ads, they are paragons of virtue!

And yeah, the idea is go get you to believe that it is 6 tuners. But ads aren't what makes you buy, they are what makes you call wanting more info. Or at least that is the way I wrote the ads I used to do.

Kind of like '200 HD channel capacity' was designed to make you think that you'd get a slew more HD channels when the bird went up, but the reality was very much different.

no but it says "record up to 6 things" but doesnt tell you (or better yet throws it at the end in 1/2 size font) that its only 3 hours a night

It would be like me saying the HR34 can record up to 10 things at once...but that would only be is I recorded back to back shows on 5 tuners and it records the overlap ;)

LOL! I think they learned the 'up to' trick from D*! :)

Sorry, now that I think about it, it does say record up to 6 things at once. To me subconsciously that means 6 tuners though. I know PTAT is counted in that.

I thought it said it can record up to 6 primetime shows which is absolutely true and not as misleading. It's a commercial, they're suppose to be a little misleading. Commercials are suppose to spark the interest of people and get them talking. Why would a customer come in to ask me about the Hopper system if they already knew everything from the commercial.

I think the commercials are pretty good. Especially the Hoppa ones. I've heard plenty of people talking about it already.

Question can direct. Tv sue dish for false and misleading statement or would the ad just past muster?

D* would not want to open that can of worms since they are not any better about totally truthful ads that don't mislead.

And in this case, the ad has the disclaimer about the recording in the fine print with the ad. Of course, that print is unreadable and goes by too quickly, but that is true of nearly every ad done these days.

My only comment on this is that the average consumer knows nothing about "tuners" so the ad isn't really misleading when they say "record up to 6 things" because you can.

I'm assuming there are not many here who are in marketing. Almost every commercial is misleading. Dish's commercials seem misleading to us because we about everything there is about Dish's equipment and programming. We don't say much about other commercials because as far as we know they're telling the truth.

Directv doesnt say that in commercials. They say record 5 programs at once.
I'm just saying the ad is misleading
DIRECTV did say that. But they were not talking about their DVR's, they were talking about their HD channel count. :) (This was from a few years ago)

A misquoted ad becomes misleading. The ads I find on Youtube say "up to six programs" which is 100% correct. "Up to 35 MPG" "Up to 50% off" etc etc....

What about the Direct TV ads that say you can be in one room, freeze the action and go to another room to watch it? You can't if the the room isn't a DVR unless you start recording it first but they show you simply freezing it. Since it is possible I don't consider that misleading, but if you think saying up to six programs is misleading, so is that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts