Hopper Content Sharing Problem (S605?)

datwell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 25, 2004
Falls Church, VA
We have 2 of the original (no Sling) Hoppers (LR & BR) and we love them! We often like to watch content from the BR Hopper on the LR Hopper. This had worked well for some time. Recently we found that the internet connection from the BR => LR is very unstable and really unwatchable. The LR's Broadband setup is good-no problem.

The BR's Broadband is a problem - at times it shows a connection to the router is OK but cannot access the internet (has a valid IP from the router) the, at times it says it has lost the connection (out of range IP) and when I try to reset the network, I get the "Attention 1228" message regarding configuring the network to provide Joeys with connectivity or some such - we have only the 2 Hoppers do not have and have never had any Joeys.

The LR can see the BR Hopper at times but often it cannot. I have rebooted the router (Verizon ActionTech) both hot and cold, plus I have reset the router. All to no avail. BTW, both Hoppers have ethernet connections to the router. The BR Hopper can record & play back just fine by itself, it just cannot play its content on the LR Hopper due to the unstable Broadband. Both Hoppers are on S605 - a bug maybe?

I need some help folks.

--Doug

Doug,

While your configuration of plugging both Hoppers into your ethernet may work, most on here suggest that you connect only one Hopper to your ethernet and enable bridging on that Hopper. If you have bridging already enabled with both connected, there can be intermittent and strange problems. Bridging is accessed by Menu>Settings>NetworkSetup>Broadband>NetworkDetails>Bridging.

Dave

Reactions: 356B
I had a problem with the two Internet/bridging MoCA connection. Every so often I would try to access recordings from the other hopper, and the playback wouldn't move, and would just be a black screen. This went for VOD downloads also... There were other minor intermittent errors but that was by far the largest worry of mine.

Guys: Thanks so much! I disconnected the ethernet cable and disabled bridging - Presto! It works great!
Doug,

Good to hear. But if you've disconnected the ethernet and disabled bridging, then you probably have no internet on the disconnected Hopper. You might need to enable bridging on the Hopper that has the ethernet connection.

Dave

Let's clarify. You should have internet on one single hopper(Ethernet or wifi). From that same hopper, the bridging should be enabled. The other hopper should not have its own internet source, and bridging should be disabled.

Reactions: navychop
Dave: Thanks much for the tip! I am making sure that this is the case. The Satellite Guys are among the very best! --Doug

OK, I have both Hoppers and all Joeys connected to Ethernet/same network along with the standard MoCA connections, and no bridging enabled on either. I had the same connections with the original Hopper. Going on 3+ years now with such connections, and I've not encountered any problems (able to access both Hoppers and internet for downloads, etc.), So, am I asking for trouble or is it functioning as it should? I find it all very confusing :).

When you say "functioning as it should" again, you have to remember that connecting Joeys via Cat5 is not supported. So any function of it, technically by Dish, is not as it should. But as far as if it is working now, I wouldn't sweat it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts