Hopper Duo does not a connector for a UHF antenna

Problem resolved? Maybe.

I finally got Dish to send out a tech. I showed him my problem (short range of control from the 40.0), and showed him that all my 40.0 remotes did the same thing. He agreed that there is a problem, which was a good start. But he pulled a 54.0 remote out of his pocket, and it worked fine from all over the house. "It has an improved transmitter", he said. So I told him that he needed to exchange my 40.0 remotes for 54.0 remotes, and all would be well. He agreed that this would solve the problem, but said he wasn't allowed to do that. I asked if he could exchange my Hopper Duo for another Hopper with an external antenna. He said that a swap would probably solve the problem, but he wasn't allowed to do that, either. WTFO? Turned out that he works for a local audio/video installation company who is contracted to Dish, and their contract doesn't allow him to exchange equipment. So he left.

I called Tech Support at Dish again, and got a real nice guy who spoke perfect English! He checked the notes from the original tech, asked me a few questions, and agreed that exchanging the remotes was the way to go, and that it was Dish's responsibility to do the exchange. But guess what? They don't have any 54.0 remotes in the warehouse. So he suggested that he could exchange my Hopper Duo for another Hopper model that has an external antenna. I agreed to try it, and he said he would ship one out that same day. And he did. But guess what again? I got the shipping manifest by email, and Dish is sending me another Hopper Duo, with no external antenna! I'll hook it up, just in case the original is defective in some way (disconnected internal antenna or whatever), but my expectations are low. I expect that I will have to call Dish AGAIN, to correct the shipping screw up.

So the saga will go on. Stay tuned.

BTW, I used the camera trick to confirm that the 40.0 does not use IR on Hopper-related commands. Thanks for that, Kevin.

Bill

That's one of the problems with Internal techs, is that they can't have anything on their vans isn't allowed to be there. I have probably 20 or so extra 54 remotes so exchanging them wouldn't have been a big deal

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't suppose I could arrange to do the exchange with you???? I would pay shipping both ways - for four remotes, that shouldn't be too bad. But I can't afford (and won't pay) for four new remotes at retail.

Bill

I don't suppose I could arrange to do the exchange with you???? I would pay shipping both ways - for four remotes, that shouldn't be too bad. But I can't afford (and won't pay) for four new remotes at retail.

Bill

I could do that, if you wanna pm me your address

The replacement Hopper Duo arrived, I connected it, and experienced the same problem. I called Dish one last time, and after a long and stern conversation - no yelling, no name-calling, but less pleasant than in the past - the girl agreed to replace my 40.0 remotes with 54.0 remotes, at no cost to me. So I think that will be the end of the issue. I thank all of you who contributed your knowledge and thoughts to my education. I'm a bit smarter now.

Bill

Reactions: HipKat
Problem resolved? Maybe.

I finally got Dish to send out a tech. I showed him my problem (short range of control from the 40.0), and showed him that all my 40.0 remotes did the same thing. He agreed that there is a problem, which was a good start. But he pulled a 54.0 remote out of his pocket, and it worked fine from all over the house. "It has an improved transmitter", he said. So I told him that he needed to exchange my 40.0 remotes for 54.0 remotes, and all would be well. He agreed that this would solve the problem, but said he wasn't allowed to do that. I asked if he could exchange my Hopper Duo for another Hopper with an external antenna. He said that a swap would probably solve the problem, but he wasn't allowed to do that, either. WTFO? Turned out that he works for a local audio/video installation company who is contracted to Dish, and their contract doesn't allow him to exchange equipment. So he left.

I called Tech Support at Dish again, and got a real nice guy who spoke perfect English! He checked the notes from the original tech, asked me a few questions, and agreed that exchanging the remotes was the way to go, and that it was Dish's responsibility to do the exchange. But guess what? They don't have any 54.0 remotes in the warehouse. So he suggested that he could exchange my Hopper Duo for another Hopper model that has an external antenna. I agreed to try it, and he said he would ship one out that same day. And he did. But guess what again? I got the shipping manifest by email, and Dish is sending me another Hopper Duo, with no external antenna! I'll hook it up, just in case the original is defective in some way (disconnected internal antenna or whatever), but my expectations are low. I expect that I will have to call Dish AGAIN, to correct the shipping screw up.

So the saga will go on. Stay tuned.

BTW, I used the camera trick to confirm that the 40.0 does not use IR on Hopper-related commands. Thanks for that, Kevin.

Bill

Yeah the remotes cost $14 each wholesale, if the installer swapped them they likely would not get reimbursed by Dish.

I would just go on eBay and see if you can find some stolen 54.0 remotes there for a few bucks.

Sure it’s a dish problem to make it right, but how much is your time worth fighting with them.
Dish Network 54.0 Voice remote control with illuminating buttons and batteries | eBay

$20 for the remote.

Yeah the remotes cost $14 each wholesale, if the installer swapped them they likely would not get reimbursed by Dish.

I would just go on eBay and see if you can find some stolen 54.0 remotes there for a few bucks.

Sure it’s a dish problem to make it right, but how much is your time worth fighting with them.
Dish Network 54.0 Voice remote control with illuminating buttons and batteries | eBay

$20 for the remote.

Why pay $20 for "stolen" remotes, when you can buy them directly from DISH for $20?

How much is your time worth fighting with DISH Claude?

$20 for the remote.
The post right above yours by the OP says that Dish is going to send him 54 remotes free of charge. That part is settled. Now you are showing your integrity, again, by suggesting that anyone buy stolen equipment to save absolutely nothing. You do know that knowingly receiving stolen property is a prosecutable offense don't you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)