Hopper Duo + Wireless Joey? Upgrade options.... # of tuners?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Allegen27

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2019
Michigan
Okay so we currently have a Hopper Duo. We want to get service on another tv. I am thinking about the wireless Joey because it would allow us to move the service between an extra tv and our bedroom. I do not want to spend much more than the $7 extra per month the wireless Joey would be. So my question is kind of three parts.

1. The first is if we add the wireless Joey can you still only record/watch things on two different channels?

2. If we wanted to can we replace the Hopper Duo with a Hopper with Sling (because it has more tuners)? Is the Hopper with Sling better than Hopper Duo or is it slower/older?

3. Are there better options to add another tv that wouldn't cost like $20 extra a month? I know the Hopper 3 is great and all, but the monthly fee is $15...so adding a Hopper 3 plus a wireless Joey would increase the bill by $12 a month. I think if that was the only option for improvement I would pass because I just got the service 6 months ago and I know the price will go up after 2 years so I don't want the bill to be ridiculous long term.

Any help/ input would be appreciated!

I would upgrade to the hopper sling for the extra tuner. It’s older but still better in many ways. One being the sling. Two, being the hard drive that’s four times larger than the Duo. All the hopper swings that I’ve been getting come with a hopper snap already installed, which will take care of the speed

Okay so we currently have a Hopper Duo. We want to get service on another tv. I am thinking about the wireless Joey because it would allow us to move the service between an extra tv and our bedroom. I do not want to spend much more than the $7 extra per month the wireless Joey would be. So my question is kind of three parts.

1. The first is if we add the wireless Joey can you still only record/watch things on two different channels?

2. If we wanted to can we replace the Hopper Duo with a Hopper with Sling (because it has more tuners)? Is the Hopper with Sling better than Hopper Duo or is it slower/older?

3. Are there better options to add another tv that wouldn't cost like $20 extra a month? I know the Hopper 3 is great and all, but the monthly fee is $15...so adding a Hopper 3 plus a wireless Joey would increase the bill by $12 a month. I think if that was the only option for improvement I would pass because I just got the service 6 months ago and I know the price will go up after 2 years so I don't want the bill to be ridiculous long term.

Any help/ input would be appreciated!

With the Hopper Duo and a Wireless Joey, you would still have the two tuners where you can watch or record two shows at the same time.

With the Hopper with Sling, not only would you be getting an extra tuner, you would have access to YouTube. With the Hopper 3 receiver, you would have access to not only Netflix and YouTube, but also Amazon Prime.

We can certainly work with you to see what would be best option as far as features and monthly rate.

We're not able to make changes through Satellite Guys at this time, but you can reach out to our Chat teams by clicking this link: Request Rejected We have agents ready to assist with any account changes.

Why not just add a Wally? I think it would cost you $7 a month and it would have it's own two tuners, or four tuners if you add an OTA tuner to it.
I honestly didn't even know that was an option. So the benefit is that two additional tuners are added and the downside is that I won't be able to access my DVR recordings from that tv (also won't be able to easily move from room to room). That is actually a good option to know though, thanks for the input.

I would upgrade to the hopper sling for the extra tuner. It’s older but still better in many ways. One being the sling. Two, being the hard drive that’s four times larger than the Duo. All the hopper swings that I’ve been getting come with a hopper snap already installed, which will take care of the speed
Okay cool, so a snap will make it faster and the hard drive is 4 times the size of the Duo plus extra tuner. Thanks.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Okay just an update (some forums prefer when updates are given on topic). I think I'm just going to add the wireless Joey to my Duo. Main reason being the price. If I add a Hopper 3 or Hopper 2 (w Sling) the monthly equipment fee is $22 and if I use the Hopper Duo its $17 ($12 during introductory period), I like the idea of adding a wally for additional tuners, but the downside is no DVR access from 2nd tv (my 3 yr old watches LOTS of DVR Paw Patrol). The Hopper 2 seems like it would be a nice improvement, but they charge same price for Hopper 2 as the Hopper 3 so I'd feel like I was being ripped off.

So in the end it will be a wireless Joey with the Duo and I'll add an external HD to the Duo. Thanks for the responses and if I missed something in my calculations or reasoning let me know!

Reactions: wormil
Okay just an update (some forums prefer when updates are given on topic). I think I'm just going to add the wireless Joey to my Duo. Main reason being the price. If I add a Hopper 3 or Hopper 2 (w Sling) the monthly equipment fee is $22 and if I use the Hopper Duo its $17 ($12 during introductory period), I like the idea of adding a wally for additional tuners, but the downside is no DVR access from 2nd tv (my 3 yr old watches LOTS of DVR Paw Patrol). The Hopper 2 seems like it would be a nice improvement, but they charge same price for Hopper 2 as the Hopper 3 so I'd feel like I was being ripped off.

So in the end it will be a wireless Joey with the Duo and I'll add an external HD to the Duo. Thanks for the responses and if I missed something in my calculations or reasoning let me know!

The other option not mentioned would be going with the H3 and using a Fire Stick at the other TV. There is no monthly fee for fire stick and works off the DVR of the Hopper similar to a Joey. The fire stick would have to be purchased from Amazon around $25. Your monthly equipment fee would only be $15 for the H3 and you would have a 2 terabyte DVR. And you would have 16 tuners.

The other option not mentioned would be going with the H3 and using a Fire Stick at the other TV. There is no monthly fee for fire stick and works off the DVR of the Hopper similar to a Joey. The fire stick would have to be purchased from Amazon around $25. Your monthly equipment fee would only be $15 for the H3 and you would have a 2 terabyte DVR. And you would have 16 tuners.
Beat me to it.

This is actually the best option. It's cheaper, gives you 4k, 16 tuners, DVR access, bigger hard drive and the dish anywhere. Unfortunately our new house doesn't get internet so for us it wouldn't work. If we had house wifi though....I'd be all over it!

No internet?!?! Are you in the UP?

Haha nope I'm within 30 minutes of the state capital actually! When we bought our house a year ago, we never figured to check if it had internet access. Well after we moved in we soon found that there was no fiber on our road and also that even though AT&T has copper wires on our road they don't offer any DSL. We had Frontier come out (fixed Point wireless) and they couldn't get a signal with the antennae on a pole. We had a brand new roof put on and I refused to let the guy put one on our new roof. So he ended up leaving and saying we couldn't get service then.

I even filed an FCC complaint on AT&T for not offering any internet even though they "maintain" our lines. We did receive a flyer in the mail last week for AT&T rolling out fixed-point wireless internet in our area. The only caveat was that it is only for a limited number of customers. It also stated that the service would be $60 a month if packaged with another AT&T service. It also stated that there was a data cap, the cap was lower than we used to use monthly when we just streamed everything.

All major cell phone providers offer "Hot Spots" so wifi is probably available until a lower cost option becomes available.
Yep we use cell phone hotspots, but they aren't always on.

All the above is why we ended up leaving streaming for satellite! To be honest were loving it.

Long time lurker and apparently I don't come here often enough. Log in, learn something new. Firestick/Dish Anywhere app. Had no idea.:rolleyes:

I'm on the original Hopper slowjo gear and I'm due an upgrade. This thread is certainly intriguing. From what I can find, looks like the H3 supports Dish Anywhere as well? Gonna dig around and see what options I'll have.

Funny you say this, I feel like I've hit all the similar road blocks as you did. Ended up getting a quote from Time Warner back in the day to install cable internet to my house for $10,000 bucks. Didn't think I could expense that for work so I declined. Asked how many people I would need to get signed up on my road to make it worth their while and when they said 200 in an apartment I stopped him right there. We have Amish in our neighborhood, don't think I'll meet your quota.

Long time lurker and apparently I don't come here often enough. Log in, learn something new. Firestick/Dish Anywhere app. Had no idea.:rolleyes:

I'm on the original Hopper slowjo gear and I'm due an upgrade. This thread is certainly intriguing. From what I can find, looks like the H3 supports Dish Anywhere as well? Gonna dig around and see what options I'll have.

Yes H3 supports Dish Anywhere. The Firestick is easy to use and saves $7 a month. That's $84 a year. My 70 year old MIL came to visit, she has U-Verse at home and she had no trouble using the Firestick in the spare bedroom.

Reactions: Markuendo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts