Hopper/External HD issues

beveritt

Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
Saw something odd on my Hopper. I used the transfer recordings option in the menu to move my 722 recordings from an EHD to the Hopper. The interface said the Hopper had 500GB of space available. I know it's supposed to be a 2TB drive. Maybe it's just an interface bug or a limit to how much you can move from an EHD? I'll have to wait until the transfers are done to see how much space it says is being consumed. I was about 230GB of recordings.

This is well known, the customer portion of the hard drive is only 500GB. Another 500GB partition is for PTAT, the rest is for Dish stuff and preloading On-Demand movies in the background. All Dish DVR's have been this way since at least the 522.

beveritt said:
Saw something odd on my Hopper. I used the transfer recordings option in the menu to move my 722 recordings from an EHD to the Hopper. The interface said the Hopper had 500GB of space available. I know it's supposed to be a 2TB drive. Maybe it's just an interface bug or a limit to how much you can move from an EHD? I'll have to wait until the transfers are done to see how much space it says is being consumed. I was about 230GB of recordings.

500GB is correct.

Thanks guys didn't realize that the hard drive portion for "customer recordings" is only 500GB. Was wondering why the hours didn't equate to the hard drive size (because half of it is for dish stuff and on demand).

wow, that seems really misleading with them advertising it as 2tb. A whole TB for dish stuff, that is ridiculous. That should be flipped around. 1tb for user, 500 for PTAT, and 500 for dish. And if you take off PTAT do you then gain that back? or does it lay dormant?

Wow is right! I knew that they had reserved space, but if the user-accessible portion is only 500GB, how does that make it any significant improvement over the previous models?! (Well, I think the 622 is only 320G or something, but isn't the 722 500?) Referring to it as 2TB is absolutely misleading!

It's 2TB if you use the reserved space. Just think if it was the size of current receivers and had that much space reserved. Keep in mind some of the current receiver's space is also reserved.

External Hard Drive Issue

My Hopper was installed on Friday. Love it! Very responsive. Did run into an issue though.

We copied everything to our ext hard drive on the 922 before the install. The Hopper sees the drive but it say there are no events on it.

Has anyone else run into this? I've rebooted and tried everything I can thin of!

Thanks,

Dale

Read in one of the threads here that this happened to another poster and he PMed Mary in DIRT and she had his Hopper hit with his Home Key again and all is well.

Hopper EHD Problem

I just had my Hopper and Joey installed this morning. I attached the EHD from my old 622 and when I go to look at it I get the message " Warning 866 The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another DISH Network account. USB storage devices may only be used with one account at a time. To use this device with this receiver, all existing archived events will be deleted." I have unplugged and plugged the USB cable and removed power from the EHD and the problem is still happening. Any solutions?

You may just need a "hit" to tell the Hopper and EHD to work together. Either contact a DIRT member or call Dish to have them send the signal.

You must work in marketing.

But, to normal non-marketing human beings, with normal non-marketing thought processes, it's misleading.
Exactly, the average person sees 2 tb and thinks 2 tbs. So when they compare to other carriers they are going to have 2tb in their head, not 500gb. I think it is very misleading. 1tb is way too much to allocate to dish. and the just add an EHD line is BS, if you just paid $100 to get a box with 2TB why should you need to go out and spend more money to get the space you should have gotten from the get go. I am someone that never uses vod or any of that stuff, so i would want to have the space to use for myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)