Hopper/External HD issues

It's the EHD can be usb powered or have to have a power supply cable option? (Transferring from a ViP 722 to a Hopper).
This is from the link I earlier provided you:

COMPATIBLE HARD DRIVES

While most major manufacturers' external hard drives are compatible with DISH DVRs, keep in mind the following guidelines when purchasing an external hard drive:

The external hard drive storage capacity for compatibility with ViP 211, 211k and 411 receivers should be between 50GB and 1TB.
The external hard drive storage capacity for compatibility with ViP 612, 622, 722, 722k and 922 receivers should be between 50GB and 2TB.
The external hard drive must have its own power supply.

At " my dish" the new receivers say they are not authorized for EHD, but the dish tech said that didn't matter.... I am beginning to think otherwise. Does anyone else here with a hopper that is working with an EHD have a my dish account where they can confirm this?

thanks in advance

Lee

Haven't upgraded yet, but My equipment show the ehd not enabled for m7 722 and enabled for the 211. When Dish dropped the fee for the ehd for the 722, etc, they no longer needed to flag it as enabled. It's been that way for over a year.

FWIT, i have an old EHD that i'm not using any more that has an option to be powered via the USB connection or to be externally powered. I plugged in the USB only into my Hopper to see if it would be compatible and if it'd really need external power, and it works fine without connecting power. So, even though it says that it must have its own power supply, in my case it worked without...

Question about EHD. I got a 2TB EHD and connected to my ViP722 (do all the reformating etc) and start tranferring movies to the EHD before my Hopper upgrade tomorrow.
It transfer about 50GB of data and then start giving tranferring errors.
Now I lost connection with my EHD and have to unplug and plug the USB cable to see the EHD. Then when I try to tranfer a file, its show the time remaining start the transfer and half way give me the transferring error. Its like at the middle pf the transfer the connection between receiver and EHD is lost. And have to do the unplug and plug again to see te files on the EHD.
Its this is a common problem of the ViP722 or I may have a damage EHD? Thanks

I bought this at newegg.com, somone on this site reccomened this setup: Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking station (nice thing is that it has both a USB and Esata) and is hot swappable with your drives.I also bought this 2tb WD hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive From what I understand the Hoppers support up to 2TB on the ehd.I haven’t had any issues with these products.

I have this exact set up and my Hopper does not see the EHD???????

Edit: After looking at my equipment on MyDish, it shows "no" under external hard drive enabled, I assume I need to call to get this corected?

Last edited:
I have this exact set up and my Hopper does not see the EHD???????Edit: After looking at my equipment on MyDish, it shows "no" under external hard drive enabled, I assume I need to call to get this corected?
My account says that I do not have a EHD enabled eithier.My EHD works just fine, only issue is that I have to select the program that I want to watch twice otherwise I get a DVR error. I am guessing that I have to "wake up the Drive".Other than that everything works fine.

My account says that I do not have a EHD enabled eithier.My EHD works just fine, only issue is that I have to select the program that I want to watch twice otherwise I get a DVR error. I am guessing that I have to "wake up the Drive".Other than that everything works fine.

According to the Tech on chat, the website is not accurate on that and they are working on an update so it reflects the current status. He told me he was looking at my system and EHD is enabled. Not sure what to believe at this point but it is not critical yet that my EHD work, but will be as my storage space lessens.

Well the hit was sent and still not recognizing the Thermaltake BlackX/WD HHD. Not sure what to do at this point. Don't think they know either, lol.
Not sure if you already tried this but try to plug your EHD into a diffrent USB port, Mine is useing the top one on the back side.

Well the hit was sent and still not recognizing the Thermaltake BlackX/WD HHD. Not sure what to do at this point. Don't think they know either, lol.

You have to make sure the drive is properly seated in the BlacX. Mine gives me trouble from time to time (just yesterday). Try removing the drive. Turn BlacX off. Re-insert drive. Power back on.

Not sure if you already tried this but try to plug your EHD into a diffrent USB port, Mine is useing the top one on the back side.

You have to make sure the drive is properly seated in the BlacX. Mine gives me trouble from time to time (just yesterday). Try removing the drive. Turn BlacX off. Re-insert drive. Power back on.

Thanks to you both, I had done both of those things though already. I eventually tried it on my PC and found the USB cable to be faulty. Used a different cable and now all is well.

The issue I'm having with my WD Essentials 1TB USB 2.0 Drive is when I go to watch something and press play it says something along the lines of "File Error" in red text. However when i try the same video over again it plays fine. I think it has something to do with how long it takes the drive to start up from power save mode and how fast the hopper thinks the drive should respond. Other than that no problems with my external drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)