Hopper/External HD issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hi,

I just installed a Seagate Barracuda 2T (STBD2000101) drive in a SIIG USB 2.0 to SATA enclosure on my Hopper. Made sure to get a USB 2.0 only enclosure rather than 3.0 to be safe.

Install went as follows:

1) Drive recognized as external device by Hopper when powered on.
2) Asked to format, format took 5-10 mins, no error msgs.
3) Drive is now listed in transfer menus on hopper as a source or destination.
4) On transfer get ok to continue, then message about calculating space.

5) Right after this I get a USB device transfer error 855. The text of the error says "An error occurred while transferring events to your external device 1."

I thought I had it made when drive was recognized and formatted, but can't seemed to get past this, have reset Hopper with no change.

Does anyone know if this is the typical issue for a non-supported drive? or ?

Jon

Try reformatting again. Sounds like it sees the drive ok, but can't read it?

My account says that I do not have a EHD enabled eithier.My EHD works just fine, only issue is that I have to select the program that I want to watch twice otherwise I get a DVR error. I am guessing that I have to "wake up the Drive".Other than that everything works fine.

The "Not Enabled" for the ehd has been that way for over a year. Since they dropped the fee on everything except the 221 series, they no longer need to set that flag.

Try reformatting again. Sounds like it sees the drive ok, but can't read it?

Thanks Tampa8, not sure how to force it to reformat as it is now detected as formatted.

Also noticed after format it reported the size as 1.802TB, so it seemed like it formatted ok.

Only other thing that comes to mind is that this was a new out of the box drive, did it need to be partitioned or anything similar on a PC prior to use?

socalsail said:
Hi,

I just installed a Seagate Barracuda 2T (STBD2000101) drive in a SIIG USB 2.0 to SATA enclosure on my Hopper. Made sure to get a USB 2.0 only enclosure rather than 3.0 to be safe.

Install went as follows:

1) Drive recognized as external device by Hopper when powered on.
2) Asked to format, format took 5-10 mins, no error msgs.
3) Drive is now listed in transfer menus on hopper as a source or destination.
4) On transfer get ok to continue, then message about calculating space.

5) Right after this I get a USB device transfer error 855. The text of the error says "An error occurred while transferring events to your external device 1."

I thought I had it made when drive was recognized and formatted, but can't seemed to get past this, have reset Hopper with no change.

Does anyone know if this is the typical issue for a non-supported drive? or ?

Jon

I have the same problem with my ViP722 prior to upgrade to the Hopper. Same error message while transferring file. In my case I qas able to transfer a few files and everytime I have the error I have to disconnect the USB cable drom receiver to get connection to EHD and be able to see/play files.
Now with the Hopper using same EHD I have no problem at all, I can transfer the files to my EHD with no error messages, I can play the files and never lose connection between Hopper and EHD.
I was using a 2TB WD EHD.
I almost return my EHD but decide to try it nefore with new Hopper and worked just fine.

Thanks Tampa8, not sure how to force it to reformat as it is now detected as formatted.

Also noticed after format it reported the size as 1.802TB, so it seemed like it formatted ok.

Only other thing that comes to mind is that this was a new out of the box drive, did it need to be partitioned or anything similar on a PC prior to use?

I think you can reformat it by hooking it up to your PC. Then, when you re-connect it to the Hopper it will reformat it with the proper file system. No partioning is required.

Took the EHD out and connected it to a PC, it was partitioned something like 1GB, 500GB, 500GB, 862GB. Deleted all those partitions, created a single large partition and did a quick format.

Reconnected the EHD to the Hopper, which again realized it needed to be formatted, took about 3 mins to format, no errors, afterwards tried to transfer files with the same error as originally.

Well, initially (3/21) my EHD was only recognized by my Hopper on disconnecting the USB or turning the drive off. But on 3/31 I reset my hopper with the red button and after rebooting, plugged in the USB and turned the drive on. Yea! It works. I was able to restore files back to my Hopper and play them with no issues that had been backed up from my VIP722. Note: The EHD was a Seagate 500GB drive I replaced in an Iomega case after the original drive died. This was only a preliminary test and I will dig deeper into use of my EHD, assuming this was not a one-time success. I attempted to check what version of software the Hopper is running but ran out of time with grand daughters coming over to go the Shrine circus. Hope I can safely say that progress is being made... - Craig

My problem was resolved by a call to Dish, disconnecting the EHD, resetting, and reconnecting. When I asked what was done I was told "I did send an activation hit to the receiver." so I assume even though the EHD appeared on my account the Hopper was not aware it was activated.

So I can confirm the Seagate Barracuda 2TB (STBD2000101) drive in a SIIG USB 2.0 to SATA enclosure combination appears to be working fine, in the middle of copying 10 movies now.

On Monday night I xfred all my recordings from my 622 to a new Hitachi XL1000 Desk 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. No problems. Tech came yesterday and hooked my up with 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys. When I try to view or transfer from drive to Hopper I get error 866 which basically states that EHD account is not compatibile with current DISH account and it would need to reformat. This, after I confirmed numerous times with DISH prior to setup that using EHD from 622 to Hopper would work. I unplugged and replugged hopper back in, tried different ports, but nothing worked, It took almost 2 hours on the phone for them to tell me that this is a problem they are seeing with others and they are working on a software patch, but have no ETA.

It looks like others were able to get their EHD to work. Anybody encounter something similar and get theirs to work?

Yeah, I had already unplugged EHD numerous times for various lengths of time. The only thing I have not tried is to have them rehit, although they said unplugging the hopper itself would have the same affect. I will try that tonight or tomorrow AM and see if that helps.

The rehit did not work. But for anybody encountering the same issue, after speaking with another tech this morning, he said that hes saw that the patch was dur to go out in the next update and that it should hit everybody by the end of next week.

How does one get them to do a "Rehit"?
I tried contacting Tech Support online chat, but he didn't know what I was talking about.

I have two Hoppers. one I've had for a week "old" and another I added two days ago ("new")

Using the same exact drive, with the same cable and same power supply;
I can transfer programs with no problems to and from the EHD from the "old" Hopper, but the "new" one won't do either.

"New" gives error 855 if I try to send from the Hopper to the EHD and it doesn't see the recordings on the EHD if I try to transfer back.
It "see's" the EHD OK, when I plug it in, but it just doesn't work at all.

When I plug the same EHD back into the "Old" Hopper, everything works fine and the recordings I transferred from it before are still there.

I even tried un-partitioning the EHD on my PC, plugging it into the "New" Hopper and formatting it.
It still doesn't let me transfer files to/from it.

Any other ideas?

P.S. I did read through this thread, and I did try the "Red Button" and also un-plugging the Hopper for 10 minutes, no luck.

How does one get them to do a "Rehit"?
I tried contacting Tech Support online chat, but he didn't know what I was talking about.

Whoops, hit 'Post' by accident. SMeyers, you can also tell them to authorize the receivers. It is the same thing as the rehit. After speaking with them on / off for a few days and through different venues, I have learned they are having multiple issues with the EHD. It may work with some receivers, not at all with others and the error messages are varied. I was told the fix is imminent and most recently, that they have no idea when it may be coming. Hope this fixes the problem with yours. Good luck.

Some of the same issues as reported above.
After my initial Hopper installation none of my old EHDs worked. I asked Matt (from DIRT) to send me a hit. He just did and it helped! All my EHDs are now recognized.

I tried to play several movies. Most started ok, but some refused with a message that I no longer subscribe to those channels. The funny thing is the message offered me to call Dish to subscribe. I wish I could subscribe to those channels, as they were among my favorites: World Cinema, Filmfest, Rave. Unfortunately Dish has killed them...

I can play most of the World Cinema channel movies from my EHD: only some of them refuse to play. So I hope this is just a bug that will be corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I just wanted to share that the "hit" worked for me also. I did still have to unplug USB cord to the EHD hard dive and then plug it back in. Just for reference, it's a 1 TB Western Digital hard drive. Before the hit, the Hopper was not recognizing the hard drive when I plugged it in, although it did always recognize when I unplugged it. Calling tech support did not do me any good, but the DIRT team heare was able to help!

Some of the same issues as reported above.
After my initial Hopper installation none of my old EHDs worked. I asked Matt (from DIRT) to send me a hit. He just did and it helped! All my EHDs are now recognized.

I tried to play several movies. Most started ok, but some refused with a message that I no longer subscribe to those channels. The funny thing is the message offered me to call Dish to subscribe. I wish I could subscribe to those channels, as they were among my favorites: World Cinema, Filmfest, Rave. Unfortunately Dish has killed them...

I can play most of the World Cinema channel movies from my EHD: only some of them refuse to play. So I hope this is just a bug that will be corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)