Hopper Failure?

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I have a fairly straightforward setup: One HWS and two joeys (one is wireless). Everything worked fine for several years, but lately when I turn off the hopper and retire to the bedroom, I turn on the bedroom TV/Joey and the picture is pixilated/torn/stuttering with brief bits of sound, etc. I’ll go out to the hopper and do a “red button reset” which resolves this.

This is happening virtually every day, so my question is: Is this indicative of the HWS beginning to fail or is it some other component responsible? Ideas?

I have a fairly straightforward setup: One HWS and two joeys (one is wireless). Everything worked fine for several years, but lately when I turn off the hopper and retire to the bedroom, I turn on the bedroom TV/Joey and the picture is pixilated/torn/stuttering with brief bits of sound, etc. I’ll go out to the hopper and do a “red button reset” which resolves this.

This is happening virtually every day, so my question is: Is this indicative of the HWS beginning to fail or is it some other component responsible? Ideas?
Have you done a hard reset by pulling the plug and waiting 10-15 seconds?

Reactions: charlesrshell
OK, I pulled the cord and that evening the Joey's functioned normally. If I don't have this problem for a few more days I'd say pulling the power cord resolved this problem, although I don't know why. Thanks for the good advice.
If the problem persists then you might have a Hopper going bad but I learned from these guys and ladies on this website that any major problem I have with the Hopper I pull the plug.

I wanted to wait for a few days to see if the issue persisted even after a pulled plug reboot, but all seems well. Obviously there's a significant difference between pulling the plug and a red button reboot. My thanks to Howard and Charles.

I wanted to wait for a few days to see if the issue persisted even after a pulled plug reboot, but all seems well. Obviously there's a significant difference between pulling the plug and a red button reboot. My thanks to Howard and Charles.
Welcome. Hope she keeps working. Pulling the plug clears out a few more things most of the time.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I have an update to this issue, and I don't know why I didn't try this before. When this pixilation/freezing occurs on the Joey, I've noticed that if I change the channel to an OTA channel (this gets me off of the hopper's tuners), it clears the problem up and I can go back to what I was watching on one of the satellite channels. Now, I no longer believe I have a failing HWS and the best I can recall is this began when one of the earlier updates pushed itself down, but I could be wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts