Hopper for Mom, Hopper for us?

Compsciteach

Original poster
Jun 24, 2016
Texas
We just built a new home and we are trying to decide on a cable/satellite provider. We have had AT&T Uverse and before that we had DirecTV. Our choices for our new home are: Xfinity, Uverse, DISH, and DirecTV.

The one issue we'd like to solve with our new service deals with how recordings are managed. My elderly mom stays at home most of the time. She records almost every Fox News show and every LifeTime movie. When my husband and I get home from work, we have to scroll through tons of recordings before we get to the two or three that we have recorded during the week.

I really really want my mom to have her own recording unit. I don't care that we won't have access to her recorded shows (we prefer it that way). Then, we can have another device in the living room and our other TVs can share the programming/recordings.

i am not very familiar with DISH but I am impressed with the functionality of the Hopper 3. So, is it possible for us to have a Hopper 3 in the living room with a Joey in the master and a Joey in the media room, and a separate Hopper 3 in my mom's room that doesn't "talk" to the rest of the devices?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for how to solve my issue?

As of now, you can only have one H3 per account. but you can have up to three (one owned) Hoppers with Sling.

As of now, you can only have one H3 per account. but you can have up to three (one owned) Hoppers with Sling.
Thanks for the reply! If we get my mom the Hopper with Sling and get us a Hopper 3, will this accomplish my goal? Will she have her recordings on her Hopper And we'll have our recordings on ours (we won't be able to see hers?)

Will we get any slack from DISH about trying to do this? (i.e. "You can only have one Hopper per household." or "If you have another Hopper, the system will get confused because there are two brains, and they will be fighting for dominance." or "If you have another Hopper, they will 'talk' to each other and you'll still be able to see all of your mom's recordings.") I should clarify my question, because I've already heard all of these statements from DISH, I just need to know if they are correct or was I talking to an inexperienced rep?

Thanks again!

Will we get any slack from DISH about trying to do this?
Probably not as this question has been posed so many times.

How about just putting mom's recordings in a folder?

get a tivo for your mom on cable...

roamios will record 4 things at once. and you can access her shows if you want.

the tivo is very easy to operate, and its software appears rock stable.....

Thanks for the reply! If we get my mom the Hopper with Sling and get us a Hopper 3, will this accomplish my goal? Will she have her recordings on her Hopper And we'll have our recordings on ours (we won't be able to see hers?)

Will we get any slack from DISH about trying to do this? (i.e. "You can only have one Hopper per household." or "If you have another Hopper, the system will get confused because there are two brains, and they will be fighting for dominance." or "If you have another Hopper, they will 'talk' to each other and you'll still be able to see all of your mom's recordings.") I should clarify my question, because I've already heard all of these statements from DISH, I just need to know if they are correct or was I talking to an inexperienced rep?

Thanks again!
Again, Dish will not allow you to activate more than one Hopper 3 per account. Period. One of the reasons is right now, it would require a separate dish per receiver. This is supposed to change toward the end of the year with a new lnb/switch.

Reactions: charlesrshell
We just built a new home and we are trying to decide on a cable/satellite provider. We have had AT&T Uverse and before that we had DirecTV. Our choices for our new home are: Xfinity, Uverse, DISH, and DirecTV.

The one issue we'd like to solve with our new service deals with how recordings are managed. My elderly mom stays at home most of the time. She records almost every Fox News show and every LifeTime movie. When my husband and I get home from work, we have to scroll through tons of recordings before we get to the two or three that we have recorded during the week.

I really really want my mom to have her own recording unit. I don't care that we won't have access to her recorded shows (we prefer it that way). Then, we can have another device in the living room and our other TVs can share the programming/recordings.

i am not very familiar with DISH but I am impressed with the functionality of the Hopper 3. So, is it possible for us to have a Hopper 3 in the living room with a Joey in the master and a Joey in the media room, and a separate Hopper 3 in my mom's room that doesn't "talk" to the rest of the devices?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for how to solve my issue?

You can accomplish separating her recordings by her room having a Hopper 2, three tuners. A second Hopper 2 three tuners in the Living room (or Media Room or wherever) and then two Joeys for the remaining rooms. But remember each Joey uses a tuner from the Hopper so if all three rooms (not your Mother's she is separate) are being used at the same time there could be recording conflicts. If the the two rooms with Joeys are not used at the same time or not at the same time as the Hopper it may work. I would consider either the Master Bedroom or one room having a Joey off your Mother's Hopper rather than the Living Room Hopper. That can be changed if you need to.

get a tivo for your mom on cable...

roamios will record 4 things at once. and you can access her shows if you want.

the tivo is very easy to operate, and its software appears rock stable.....
So, are you suggesting that they get cable for Mom and a Hopper 3 for themselves? I don't see that happening.

Reactions: Tampa8
A combo of a minimum cable system with DVR or TiVo and a Hopper 3 system for everyone else would make for a really nice way to do it though. Of course cost could be an issue. But I know if I were in their situation, that would be the way I would be looking at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone addressed this specific question above, at least not directly. No, once you have a Hopper 3 on your account, you cannot have any other Hoppers (H1, H2, or H3) on your account.
Could the OP add a ViP211 series receiver or a Wally for Mom's room? That would not integrate with the Hopper in any way, shape, or form. It would require an external hard drive and a one-time $40 fee to activate the DVR functionality.

Reactions: Compsciteach
Could the OP add a ViP211 series receiver or a Wally for Mom's room? That would not integrate with the Hopper in any way, shape, or form. It would require an external hard drive and a one-time $40 fee to activate the DVR functionality.
It could be done but would require a second dish, lnb, and coax. You can't mix these with Hopper 3.

Not to hijack, but would if the OP went with two or three Hoppers with Sling would all three run off the new Dish Pro Hybrid (making an upgrade to a Hopper 3 easier later on?) or would it require the old messier configuration?

Last edited:
Not to hijack, but would three Hoppers with Sling run off the new Dish Pro Hybrid (making an upgrade to a Hopper 3 easier later on?) or would it require the old messier configuration?
I can't speak to that. We will have to wait and see.

Not to hijack, but would three Hoppers with Sling run off the new Dish Pro Hybrid (making an upgrade to a Hopper 3 easier later on?) or would it require the old messier configuration?

The dph lnb will only run 1 h3 or 2 earlier generation hoppers.

For 3 hws, 1 configuration would be. Dpp lnb to 44 switch with a duo node off of it feeding 2 hoppers. The feed thru off the 1st 44 switch would feed a 2nd 44 switch and have a single node off of it to feed the 3rd hws.

There is another switch in the makings that is supposedly called a dp42. No details as of yet on it but it may make installations simpler for multiple hoppers.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not to hijack, but would if the OP went with two or three Hoppers with Sling would all three run off the new Dish Pro Hybrid (making an upgrade to a Hopper 3 easier later on?) or would it require the old messier configuration?
2 Hopper with slings would, But not 3.
You need a multi switch for more than 2 Hoppers and they don't make a hybrid compatible one yet.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)