Hopper Freeze and Reboot

Did you get this resolved, nicholb? I'm having similar (thought not exactly the same) issues, and haven't had much luck so far. Wondering if you have any ideas on what was happening and how to fix it.

I replaced the surge suppressor as tech support suggested on Sunday night. I have not had a freeze/reboot since then, but it has only been a day and a half. So far so good. I'll call it fixed if it survives the week.

Did you get this resolved, nicholb? I'm having similar (thought not exactly the same) issues, and haven't had much luck so far. Wondering if you have any ideas on what was happening and how to fix it.

Hopper is BUGGY. I am really sorry I rushed to get the Hopper; I should have waited for the bugs to be ironed out first. Currently it is more trouble than it's worth.
Today, while two rooms were watching live while a program was recording the hopper froze solid. I had to press the now too familiar red reset button.
Few days ago when turned on it would show the screen saver but would not turn on. Again the bloody reset button. This happened twice, couple of days apart.
I'm on S209.

Yep, had to unplug when I switched out the surge suppressor. After I posted last night it rebooted again just after 8. I checked the temp and it was 115 with a max of 125. The tech comes out tomorrow.

I was getting lockups, reboots, and PSODs. But, they stopped with 207. I even requested a replacement Hopper. But, when the symptoms stopped, I sent it back without using it.

Then, starting last night, the Hopper was dropping audio and stuttering on the video with both live TV and DVR playback. The Joey wouldn't play DVR titles, as well. No amount of rebooting, power cycling, or unplugging/plugging would fix it. So, I've requested another replacement.

This time, I'm swapping it out, even if the symptoms go away.

FWIW, I'm on 209 and I get great signal strength.

Update: the tech arrived today to swap out the rebooting Hopper. The first Hopper he tried was also defective and was stuck in a reboot loop (he let it sit a good 30 minutes and about 10 reboots before calling it defective). He had another one on the truck so brought that one in and plugged it in. That one completed the initial setup correctly. Hopefully this is the answer to the freeze/reboot problem.

One thing on the setup. On the previous Hopper I had used the system wizard to back up the settings and timers before he replaced it. On the new unit it shows the time and date of the backup and says success on the restore, but the timers and custom channel lists do not come back. The old unit was on S209 and the new unit is S207. I am assuming that is why the restore is not actually restoring anything. Hopefully I'll get the S209 tonight and be able to use the restore rather than reprogramming everything.

make sure to report all those restore issues to DIRT so that it can be fixed in the software. some of them have been going on from the beginning.

Another reboot today on the new Hopper. I did notice that it was right after watching something on my blue ray player and then switching back to the Hopper. My TV is a Toshiba and it has Regza Link. This sends commands via the HDMI between the TV and compatible devices. For example when I change the input on the tv to the one the blue ray is connected to, it turns on the blue ray. Also if I turn on the blue ray it changes the input on the tv. Remote control commands also are transferred via the HDMI.

The TV sees the Hopper as a Regza Link device even though it does not work as such. I am wondering if the Regza Link is sending HDMI commands to the Hopper and confusing it that it reboots. I have turned off all Regza Link features on the TV to see if that fixes it.

I got S209 about 6:30pm today. I tried the restore again and my channel list restored but not the timers (darn). I am thinking that since I had already recreated some of the timers that it is not wanting to overwrite them and is not restoring.

Last edited:
@nicholb - Try turning off Regza Link, and see if that helps.

Also, did you happen to notice if your Hopper was hot when it would act weird? Mine is very hot when it does stupid stuff. I'm hoping it's not a heat issue, though, as that means the replacement Hopper will be doing the same thing.

I had my install yesterday and noticed tonight that the hopper is very hot. How do I check the temperatures? I have read here to mount the joey's vertical which I have since done. I just need to know how to check the temp.

Nevermind I found it. Here it is for anyone who needs to know.

Try Menu - Settings - Network Setup - Tests - View Counters
Page down (above the guide button on the right hand side of the remote) to HDD High Temp, HDD Low Temp and HDD Average Temp.

Just as with my 722k, I find that the hottest temps on my Hopper are not at the HDD location, but around the power supply. Unfortunately, Dish engineers didn't deem it necessary to put top vents over the power supply, or put a fan on that side of those models. Pretty stupid.

So far so good with the Regza Link off I have switched back an forth from the blue ray player input to the hopper input and no freeze up/reboots. I will wait for a week of no problems before I call it fixed, then I will let Dirt know about the fix.

Been looking at the temp since a couple people asked. Max is never above 123.

Yet another freeze and reboot twice tonight. Screwed up another show I watch. This is getting real old. So it is not the Regza Link. Updating to S209 does not help. On the 3rd hopper and no help there. Temp never gets above 125 and the hopper is on a table not in a cabinet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)