Hopper has reached max timers after only 33

jthackery

Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
I am getting an error 41 on the hopper (or connected Joey) when trying to add a new timer. I only have 33 timers setup. The max should be 96, correct? Anyway, I went ahead and deleted a couple because it said to add a new one I should delete one. Well now I have 31 timers and I still receive the same message that I cannot add a new timer. Anyone else having this issue or anyone find a way to fix? I have tried resetting the hopper and that did not work. I also contacted dish and gave them the software version and such I am on and they are looking into it but not sure when it will be addressed.

I have a 2 hopper, 3 joey setup with a sling adapter.

I think you are seeing the max events to keep under DVD defaults. I have looked everywhere and don't see anything about timers.

I am not sure but I thought I seen a menu which allowed you to change the number of timers.
The number of timers is restricted by a software limitation. I also can't imagine why a user would need/want to lower the number of timers allowed - there's really no need to do that.

Hall said:
The number of timers is restricted by a software limitation. I also can't imagine why a user would need/want to lower the number of timers allowed - there's really no need to do that.

Isn't that software limit 96 or something close?

That's a number I recall from previous discussions. Remember, there's "timers" and there's "events" too. There's limits on both (you could reach the 'event' limit before hitting the 'timer' limit) and the first one reached, stops everything.

Nonetheless, something is odd in your scenario.

Hall said:

Reading this thread the below stood out because I had also setup many timers via sling (easier to search shows and such).

"You might be onto something there. Since search wasn't working on the DVR yesterday, I created all of the timers via DISH Online Access, or whatever it is called, which
will only let you create Dish Passes."

So I went back and started adjusting some of the timers (changing to m-f, etc) and now I can setup new ones. So my question is, what is the difference between setting up timers on sling versus on the hopper and what is the "Dish Pass" the poster refers to?

Thanks for the help!!!

Were you able to get this problem resolved? I'm getting error 041 with 19 timers and now the Hopper won't record anything, including current times. Dish is sending a tech to my house Wed but until then I'm out of luck.

I'm also getting the max number of events reached problem. I have 28 timers. Many of those timers are cable networks, so there is a lot of skipped episodes, but it doesn't seem like 28 timers should reach the max event limit yet. I had about 40 timers on my 722 and rarely reached the max event limit.

-Todd

My Hopper wouldn't record at all today. Even the first timers I set up weren't recording. I deleted all of my timers and that allowed me to record events again. I only had 19 timers and all were set to record new episodes only. It's pretty disappointing that the Hopper has this problem when I had over 90 timers in my 622 and never had an issue.

I still like the Hopper for the PTAT feature, but I'm disappointed that I can't record many of my favorite cable shows too.

I was able to get this resolved...sorta anyway. Basically what I found was that some of the timers I setup had lots of skipped events. I think the event limit is 500+ and it appears that skipped events are counted towards that number. I don't know if I hit that or if there is a way to even tell, but after going thru and changing the setup of the timers I was able to add more. When editing the timers I changed the ones that had lots of skipped events from new to daily. In most cases it seems like it works okay, but there are some I noticed that it appears to record the first event of the day and not necessarily the new one that I would want. It is not an ideal solution, but until they increase the limits it was the only thing I found to work. If anyone else finds a better solution please let me know.

For some reason I was able to add more timers last night (the next night after I maxed out the events with 28 timers). I'm now up to 40 timers. I wonder if this is similar to the search function that took overnight to populate and actually work correctly. I wonder if there's some bug with the events that resolves itself after the nightly update. Not sure, but I'm at 40 timers now, just like I was with my 722.

Todd

...and it appears that skipped events are counted towards that number. I don't know if I hit that...
Skipped events absolutely "count". You have to realize it's doing a query to FIND matching shows and keep track of them. Whether it's a "record" or "do not record" show, it still is kept track of (and counted).

And as noted
96 timers or 576 events are the limits. whichever you hit first.
the number you hit FIRST is the stopper.

I have 40 timers on mine... I set them all up directly on the Hopper using the remote.
As I mentioned, it appears that the issue is caused by setting timers via Dish Online. No idea if setting (1) online and the rest directly on the device will do it or if it only occurs when ALL timers are set online....

As I mentioned, it appears that the issue is caused by setting timers via Dish Online. No idea if setting (1) online and the rest directly on the device will do it or if it only occurs when ALL timers are set online....

I set all timers manually on the Hopper. I didn't use Dish Online at all and still had this problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts