Hopper has reached max timers after only 33

When I set up manual timers for the Olympics using Dish Remote Access (the website, not the app), the Hopper named each recording "XXX Summer Olympics", not "Digital Service".
Mike was referring to recording from OTA channels that have no guide info, such as most sub-channels. The guide listing simply says "Digital Service" which is what the recording ends up being named.

I can't record more than 30 some programs also, some days more some days less. My real problem is this has been going on since March for some people and why hasn't this been fixed? I am surpirised they released hopper with so many software glitches!

Can you check and see how many events you have (including skipped events). The limit is 96timers/576 events
You can check the # of events on the on the Daily Schedule screen (press the DVR button thrice).

Vivek
DISH

I can't record more than 30 some programs also, some days more some days less. My real problem is this has been going on since March for some people and why hasn't this been fixed? I am surpirised they released hopper with so many software glitches!

I just came back to complain about this again. I have S221. I have 29 timers and hit the 576 events limit.

I think the main issue here is that we watch a lot of "non-local channels" with shows that tend to repeat and often have "marathons". This hugely inflates the number of events unnecessarily. For instance, one show that my wife watches had 1 "new" recording and 35 "skipped events" for a 7-day period.

Last edited:
Michael Wheeler said:
I just came back to complain about this again. I have S221. I have 29 timers and hit the 576 events limit.

I think the main issue here is that we watch a lot of "non-local channels" with shows that tend to repeat and often have "marathons". This hugely inflates the number of events unnecessarily. For instance, one show that my wife watches had 1 "new" recording and 35 "skipped events" for a 7-day period.

I'd blame the channel and not Dish for that.

Is this mostly just a Hopper issue? I have 35 Dish Pass timers that have dozens of events each on average and I don't get this problem on my 722. If there are too many events, then my event list just doesn't go out the full 9 days, just a rolling 5-6 days of events continuously. It doesn't prevent me from creating new timers and I've never seen the maximum timer/event error message.

The event limit is not affected by hiding skipped events.

Well the actual limit is unaffected but when you hide skipped events the counter won't count the skipped events. So when checking to see if you have reached the event limit, be sure and unhide skipped events.

Perhaps Dish should give us the ability to delete skipped events? That would be a good solution if they can't expand the limit.

Well the actual limit is unaffected but when you hide skipped events the counter won't count the skipped events. So when checking to see if you have reached the event limit, be sure and unhide skipped events.

Perhaps Dish should give us the ability to delete skipped events? That would be a good solution if they can't expand the limit.
Or, not create them as skipped events when your timer is for new episodes only and most of the skipped events are for non-new episodes....

Or, not create them as skipped events when your timer is for new episodes only and most of the skipped events are for non-new episodes....

one reason why I suggested more advanced recording options such as this: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/290569-Need-more-advanced-recording-timer-options-on-the-Hopper

that might help a little in cutting down skipped events for programs that repeat multiple times a day since you can set a time and the type of program.

The current recording options are just too broad and end up flagging too many items as skipped.

one reason why I suggested more advanced recording options such as this: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/290569-Need-more-advanced-recording-timer-options-on-the-Hopper

that might help a little in cutting down skipped events for programs that repeat multiple times a day since you can set a time and the type of program.

The current recording options are just too broad and end up flagging too many items as skipped.

What I would like to see is a way to add a specific window of time for the timer to pay attention to and ignore events outside of that window. So, like for my timer for Futurama, I would set it for New episodes, but only on Thursdays between the hours of 8 pm and 1 am, or something like that. Then, that would ignore the old episodes that air earlier in the day or on other days. That would hopefully cut down on extraneous events.

Is my events going to skyrocket when the new TV season starts and I hit save series in PTA because I have about 40 shows I'm going to do that to, and I already have 30 timers and 108 events now.

What I would like to see is a way to add a specific window of time for the timer to pay attention to and ignore events outside of that window. So, like for my timer for Futurama, I would set it for New episodes, but only on Thursdays between the hours of 8 pm and 1 am, or something like that. Then, that would ignore the old episodes that air earlier in the day or on other days. That would hopefully cut down on extraneous events.

Wouldn't it just be simpler that when you set a 'new episode only' timer to have it just ignore non-new episodes and not use up slots on the precious event list for them??

cosmo_kramer said:
Wouldn't it just be simpler that when you set a 'new episode only' timer to have it just ignore non-new episodes and not use up slots on the precious event list for them??

Except that the only way it knows the event is not new and should be skipped is by indexing it as non-new and needing skipping. And it will stay there (and be counted) until it airs and is actually skipped.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Except that the only way it knows the event is not new and should be skipped is by indexing it as non-new and needing skipping. And it will stay there (and be counted) until it airs and is actually skipped.

Once an event is determined to be skipped, why does it have to be retained as a future event needing skipping? For a new episode only timer I could see the necessity for it for other airings of a new episode, like HBO's The Newsroom that is shown several times a week. But, it's ridiculous when a new episode only timer that has many skipped events and has "Not a new episode" as a reason as to why it was skipped...

cosmo_kramer said:
Once an event is determined to be skipped, why does it have to be retained as a future event needing skipping? For a new episode only timer I could see the necessity for it for other airings of a new episode, like HBO's The Newsroom that is shown several times a week. But, it's ridiculous when a new episode only timer that has many skipped events and has "Not a new episode" as a reason as to why it was skipped...

It still has to track them somehow? Guide data gets updated every night (or however often it is), programming descriptions can change. I'd imagine the system keeps track of everything it does so that it can dynamically adjust to changes. Keeping the programs indexed is likely also essential to allowing users to go back and restore skipped programs that they happen to watch to re-watch. (Say a repeat of the last season finale before the start of the new season.) I don't think the problem is that the system keeps track of everything, it's that the event limit is not higher. Fix that maximum and the complaints go away.

I had the same issue. My short term solution was to remove Pawn Stars (which seems to be repeated 1,000 times a week) from my list of shows to record. I was told that even if it was a skipped event, it was still counted as an event. My long term solution was to call and demand a 2nd Hopper/Joey setup. I got one with no extra install/activation fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)