Hopper Input From Everyone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Does anyone know if they will let you get 2 Hoppers without getting a Joey? Or do they make you get a Joey no matter what?
right now anything that doesn't pair at least 1H/1J is not considered a standard config by Dish.

Doesn't hurt to contact DIRT and see what they say. Some CSRs have been able to get around the rule somehow.

Schermann made it sound like retailers have a few tricks to get around this too. It's another option to try if you know of a good one locally.

Hmm some good points! Thanks for the input yeah has anyone tried hooking up any of the new FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Ultra–portable Drives to their Hoppers?? I really like them their small and you can get them up to 1.5TB.

It appears these drives are bus-powered. Dish requires external hard drives to be powered independent of USB.

One of the interesting things about Hopper (and the 922) is you can connect multiple hard drives to the receiver simultaneously. If you use a powered hub you may get away with bus-powered USB drives.

I saw one post that said they were able to use a bus-powered drive on Hopper but it would be safer to use a drive that has a separate power supply.

so let's say you set a recording for A&E and Syfy at 7PM (two shows at the same time), then you'd still have a third tuner free to either record or watch between that hopper and joey.

(as long as you have PTAT disabled on the hopper box)

On my 722 I can be recording on all 3 tuners (2Dish + OTA). If I want to watch what is being recorded on TV2 tuner, After a minute or so, I can go to the DVR button and start watching what is being recorded on TV2. In effect, watching DVR does not use up a tuner. Is the Hopper different?

Yeah at the end of the day to me Direct Media Center looks like the way to go with a true 1TB Drive to do with what you want and 5 recordings of what networks you want not some feature that just ties in 4 networks. Plus you can record up to at least 3 things at the same time and still watch live tv on 2 other 2 tv's without any issues so from what I have looked into and read Media Center is the way to go.. I think if Dish did not do the Prime Time Thing at all and just left a true 2TB drive in the system and had more than 3 tuners so that way could watch more live TV then it might be a little better. But setting things up with this Prime Time Thing was a mistake in that they are putting all their eggs in one basket with just 4 networks where most of your other top shows and sports are going to be on allot of the other networks.. Just my 2 cents.. :)

Poke said:
But setting things up with this Prime Time Thing was a mistake in that they are putting all their eggs in one basket with just 4 networks where most of your other top shows and sports are going to be on allot of the other networks..
You may want to check the ratings numbers of the shows targeted by PTAT vs "the other networks".

Sent from my phone...

On my 722 I can be recording on all 3 tuners (2Dish + OTA). If I want to watch what is being recorded on TV2 tuner, After a minute or so, I can go to the DVR button and start watching what is being recorded on TV2. In effect, watching DVR does not use up a tuner. Is the Hopper different?

No, it works the same.

But setting things up with this Prime Time Thing was a mistake in that they are putting all their eggs in one basket with just 4 networks where most of your other top shows and sports are going to be on allot of the other networks.. Just my 2 cents..
You may want to check the ratings numbers of the shows targeted by PTAT vs "the other networks".
To follow-up on this, this PTAT option was implemented by Dish because the numbers simply support that the vast majority of TV viewers watch the big 3/4 stations over "cable networks", i.e. Discovery, USA, and so on.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)