Hopper Installation Question

bf3000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Bel Air, MD
I am getting a 2 Hopper/2 Joey system installed tomorrow. The installer has already given me all the hardware, and I had previosly verified (by borrowing a Hopper and Joey) that all locations in my house have suitable wiring for the installation. My questions is, can I download the initial software update to both Hoppers this evening so that they are ready to install tomorrow? I know not to even touch the Joeys until everything is activated and showing live TV, but I am just looking to save some time for my installer. I just don't want to get the Hopper into a state where if I unplug it or don't touch it for 24 hours (when activation will occur) it will screw something up. Thanks!

Are the boxes that are shipping now pre-loaded with more recent software, or do they still have the original version. I remember reading about initial software downloads of 1+ hours, and I was just trying to avoid that. The installer is doing this job as a favor for me, so I am trying not to take up too much of his time.

Hey you can, I did and it saved a significant amount of time for the installer. If you have a dpp44 switch you don't even have to install the node you can just hook the hopper up to the switch and it will download the software you will not believe the time it saved them being in my basement. Mine really appreciated it too. Just once you get to the activation screen unplug it, I think its 4 of 7. One other thing you can do for them if it's not already done is trace all your wire's and mark them it's speeds up the process too. I didn't we did it quickly with stickers and over the phone. I was upstairs and he was in the server closet, but if you do it ahead of time then its faster then running around figuring out which TV just went out when he unplugged a cable. The other thing you can do is make sure all your other box's and stuff are free from the box on top of them. Now other then that that all you can really do. I personally only did the one box and it it was really out of curiosity the rest of this stuff is to be nice to the installer I don't do it and don't care THAT IS WHAT I PAY THEM FOR! I'm sorry I pay dish crap load of money so if they have to pick up my DVD player to replace my box I don't give a crap that is their job. I am exceptionally nice to my repair people I always offer a beverage and a piece of cake but I'm not move equipment for them it's their job not mine.

Last edited:
Hey you can, I did and it saved a significant amount of time for the installer. If you have a dpp44 switch you don't even have to install the node you can just hook the hopper up to the switch and it will download the software you will not believe the time it saved them being in my basement. Mine really appreciated it too. Just once you get to the activation screen unplug it, I think its 4 of 7. One other thing you can do for them if it's not already done is trace all your wire's and mark them it's speeds up the process too. I didn't we did it quickly with stickers and over the phone. I was upstairs and he was in the server closet, but if you do it ahead of time then its faster then running around figuring out which TV just went out when he unplugged a cable.

Thanks for the info - that makes me feel a lot better. I have already installed the Duo Node and have all of the wiring labeled and ready to go. I just wanted to make sure that unplugging the receiver when it was done its software download would not mess things up. I know the Hopper is a little more finicky than other Dish receivers, and I didn't want to screw it up.

One more quick question - does the remote get paired and the receiver location entered before you get to the activation prompt?

The first thing done when plugged in is pairing the remote. Hold down that sat button for like 3 seconds when the screen comes up. DID you make sure you took pictures or wrote down you timers out of your old box's? Make sure you keep track of which remote goes which box.

Last edited:
The first thing done when plugged in is pairing the remote. Hold down that sat button for like 3 seconds when the screen comes up. DID you make sure you took pictures or wrote down you timers out of your old box's?

Not yet - that's the last thing I have to do before I dismantle the old setup. Thanks for the reminder.

Keep track of the remotes too so you don't mix them up. Their a pain in tuckas. What kind of box's did you have before these if I can ask?

See if you can keep one of the remotes or both your hopper will work with it if you turn IR on. If you want to it comes in handy if you want two remotes wherever your hopper is located.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)