Hopper Installation Training Materials

stardust3 said:
Oh cmon it ain't that difficult. Do you install or have 1 of your peeps do it for you? If the latter then I understand your not geared that way.

I am not an installer but I do know how to install. I installed my own setup. I'm no professional but I know what to do. Part of my problem is not always having the right tools for the job.

What I like about the tailgater is the simplicity and the little space it takes in the truck.

Scherrman said:
The Hopper will not work with a Tailgater. You would have to have a Dish 1000.2 set up and probably need the node too. I'm not sure if the node is needed when only using the Hopper.

The only reason I even bring a TV tailgating is because of the Tailgater. It made setting up a TV so easy that I couldn't turn down doing it. If I had to go back to setting up a Dish 1000.2 on a tripod then it's not worth it for me.

Totally disagree with you. The 1000.2/.4 is really not difficult. I am not an installer I only setup a dish 6-7 times a year at my tailgate and I dont have any trouble.

Does the tailgater only receive one orbital satellite location at a time? If so then I wonder if a DP lnb would work with the Hopper if he just wanted to connect a single lnb up to an old dish 300. If not then he could setup a 1000.2 and only try to at least pickup 119 like he did before and he picks up anything else then it is a bonus.

Does the tailgater only receive one orbital satellite location at a time? If so then I wonder if a DP lnb would work with the Hopper if he just wanted to connect a single lnb up to an old dish 300. If not then he could setup a 1000.2 and only try to at least pickup 119 like he did before and he picks up anything else then it is a bonus.

It receives 110, 119, and 129 just like a 1000.2.

As of yesterday it was OFFICIAL. No speculating involved and it matches what we were told by DISH execs at CES.

However with that said they have been watching the feedback here and are taking it under advisement and may change their rule before the Hopper is official available.
Perhaps they can have this limitation only for new subs, but allow existing subs who are upgrading to add H/J to existing VIP systems.

Even if they plan on changing the requirement, have programmers working on the billing system...
I don't understand why they can't just add the H and J to the existing billing system, the same as they would for any new receivers. And, whole-house can be added as another in their long list of fees. I don't see why they would use separate billing systems for H/J and legacy accounts.

Perhaps they can have this limitation only for new subs, but allow existing subs who are upgrading to add H/J to existing VIP systems.....

Maybe they could feel reasonably secure if one and only one ViP or legacy receiver was allowed on the Hopper account. This would be a good compromise, put a big crimp in account stacking, and certainly leave a good taste in the mouths of those folks they recently sold Tailgater outfits to.

I don't understand why they can't just add the H and J to the existing billing system, the same as they would for any new receivers. And, whole-house can be added as another in their long list of fees. I don't see why they would use separate billing systems for H/J and legacy accounts.

I certainly agree with this.

So the question is if the tailgater is compatable to a Hopper or not and if it isn't then will a single DP lnb be compatable and if not then a 1000.2 could be used which uses DPP technology. He could try to tune one satellite in then if he has luck he will get more. If he cannot get any additional orbital locations then he will get just one orbital location like he did before so no loss.

Last edited:
So the question is if the tailgater is compatable to a Hopper or not and if it isn't then will a single DP lnb be compatable and if not then a 1000.2 could be used which uses DPP technology. He could try to tune one satellite in then if he has luck he will get more and if not then he will get just one in like he did before so no loss.

I don't understand what's in bold.

The reason a Tailgater is not compatible with the Hopper is that the logic for the Tailgater is in the VIP211 firmware, not in the Tailgater like if you bought it from the OEM for a few hundred dollars more.

In response to Laddyboy :

if not then he will get just one like he did before

translated to ....

if he cannot get any additional orbital locations then he will get just one orbital location like he did before.

In response to Laddyboy :

if not then he will get just one like he did before

translated to ....

if he cannot get any additional orbital locations then he will get just one orbital location like he did before.
That's how I read it too...but I did have to go over it a 2nd time just to be sure. :)

Stargazer said:
So the question is if the tailgater is compatable to a Hopper or not and if it isn't then will a single DP lnb be compatable and if not then a 1000.2 could be used which uses DPP technology. He could try to tune one satellite in then if he has luck he will get more. If he cannot get any additional orbital locations then he will get just one orbital location like he did before so no loss.

It is a reman of the vucube which did not support dual tuners.

Think ouf a single dp lnb swivling to hit orbitals one at a time. It wouldn't be able to catch a secong orbital simultaneously if a dvr or other tuner were viewing a different orbital.

Sent from my fingers.

Dish HAS put a limit on the H/J system. It is currently not allowed at all. They may reconsider, and perhaps allow a single ViP, or perhaps something else.

OK. Still doesn't answer my question though. I just said "if" because of wishful thinking. I am assuming that it is technically possible.

it would theoretically be possible to have the H/J + 2 ViP units installed if one were to use 2 DPP44's, is this correct? I would LOVE to be able to some day have 1 (or 2) Hopper(s) + 1 Joey, and 2 ViP 612s.

I claim it is possible (via two accounts) to put 1 Hopper and 2 612's on one DPP44. With two Hoppers, you need 3 DPP outputs which could be done with two DPP44s or (theoretically) one DPP44 and one DPP33 cascaded off the DPP44.

I claim it is possible (via two accounts) to put 1 Hopper and 2 612's on one DPP44. With two Hoppers, you need 3 DPP outputs which could be done with two DPP44s or (theoretically) one DPP44 and one DPP33 cascaded off the DPP44.

I would bet you're right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)