Hopper Internet Connector disrupts Joeys Moca connections

sidekickkdx

Original poster
May 1, 2013
Michigan
Hi All, I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I have one Hopper and two Joeys. When I connect the Hopper to the internet via WiFi, the Hopper and Joeys are linked. However, I do not wish to use WiFi for the system at all. So I disconnected the WiFi connection and connected a Hopper Internet Connector to my router. Now the Hopper is connected to the internet, but both Joeys lose their connections to the Hopper. When I unplug the HIC, the Joeys come back on line. But then of course I have no internet on the system anymore. Dish is sending me a new HIC to try, but I am wondering if something else is going on...like maybe a router setting. Any ideas?

Hi All, I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I have one Hopper and two Joeys. When I connect the Hopper to the internet via WiFi, the Hopper and Joeys are linked. However, I do not wish to use WiFi for the system at all. So I disconnected the WiFi connection and connected a Hopper Internet Connector to my router. Now the Hopper is connected to the internet, but both Joeys lose their connections to the Hopper. When I unplug the HIC, the Joeys come back on line. But then of course I have no internet on the system anymore. Dish is sending me a new HIC to try, but I am wondering if something else is going on...like maybe a router setting. Any ideas?

Connect the hopper to your router. Unplug power on both Joeys then plug them back in. Let the boot process complete and you should be Ok.

I have seen a similar situation if the router is off and you are watching TV on the Joeys. If power is restored to the router the Joeys lose their connection. Unplugging power from the Joey and plugging it back in restores the connection.

Well I connected the hopper to the router (using HIC since I don't have a long Ethernet cable), and then unplugged/replugged the Joeys. The Joeys were linked to the hopper as far as watching tv is concerned, but I got a message saying that I need an internet connection when I tried to open Pandora (on the Joeys only...worked on hopper). Also, the Joeys were telling me that moca connection failed. I "reset the network" on the hopper and the Joeys got kicked off completely again. Unplugging the Joeys after that didn't help....getting error 1305. Is the HIC bad, or is something else going on?

To get Pandora on the Joey's you will need to enable bridging in the broadband menu on the hopper.

The bigger issue is the moca connection failing, without fixing that no reason to worry about the bridging as it will just fail as well. It sounds like that HIC is failing causing the MOCA to drop out. Try the new HIC and see if that does the trick. Beyond that it could be the node or possibly even the hopper.

I broke down and bought a 50 foot Ethernet cable and connected my router directly to the back of the hopper. After enabling bridging I was able to get everything working on the Joeys. So I think the node and hopper are fine. Must be the HIC or the wiring between the HIC and the hopper. I'll test the new HIC to see what happens, but I'm probably going to keep the Ethernet cable setup. Now I just have to figure out how to run it through the walls because it doesn't look so good going through the living room. Thanks for your suggestions!

While Ethernet is always best you might try Ethernet over power line adapters. They are plug and play.

Both my Dish receivers are networked using them and my Slingbox is connected to my router with an adapter.

I am using old 85 Mbps adapters and depending where the adapter is located I get a link rate of 20 - 40 Mbps and stream my Slingbox on my LAN at a steady 4 Mbps. (My Slingbox streams SD only. )

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I broke down and bought a 50 foot Ethernet cable and connected my router directly to the back of the hopper. After enabling bridging I was able to get everything working on the Joeys. So I think the node and hopper are fine. Must be the HIC or the wiring between the HIC and the hopper. I'll test the new HIC to see what happens, but I'm probably going to keep the Ethernet cable setup. Now I just have to figure out how to run it through the walls because it doesn't look so good going through the living room. Thanks for your suggestions!
The HIC can not be connected to the Hopper unless it is connected to a DPX tap, it should only be connected at a Joey or the node client port.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)