Hopper Internet Connector not needed anymore?

ohioankev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Both of my Hoppers are on S213 as of 6/30 and for the first time I have experienced this connection issue. Sometime between last night and today the Joeys stopped linking to my Hopper in my bedroom. Then when I linked with the other Hopper and tried to view the content via Hopper to Hopper when I would select a program it would not start the DVR recording but would just stay on live tv, or whatever DVR recording it was playing on the Hopper that the Joey would connect. I tried rebooting my Hopper several times and reseting the network but nothing worked until I unplugged my Hopper Internet Connector.

Here is my layout
Both Hoppers and 1 Joey are connected via Ethernet directly.
The Joey in the Kitchen & Living Room were connected via the HIC.

The one thing I checked that has me even more baffled is the fact that the Joeys in the Kitchen & Living room connect to VOD and to my Media server even though they are no longer being served by the HIC.

I have 2H/2J setup with each hopper connected with Ethernet cable. The Joeys show as not connected but I believe I can still connect to the Internet through both. I can run the Apps...etc. I am not sure if this affects software update but I believe it may be coming via satellites.

I have 2H/2J setup with each hopper connected with Ethernet cable. The Joeys show as not connected but I believe I can still connect to the Internet through both. I can run the Apps...etc. I am not sure if this affects software update but I believe it may be coming via satellites.

Read the posts - only ONE Hopper (OR one Joey with HIC) should be connected to your broadband - since 213 was pushed.

Read the posts - only ONE Hopper (OR one Joey with HIC) should be connected to your broadband - since 213 was pushed.

Thank you. I tried earlier with no luck. Unplugging everything, turning one hopper on with Ethernet, then turning Joeys one at a time; but it did not work so apparently it is not just that.

I have a 2H/3J system and have a HIC installed on one of the hoppers. I haven't had any issues with the joeys linking to the hoppers. But are you saying I can do away with the HIC and just run the ethernet directly into the hopper and get the same results?

I'm still using my HIC (and ONLY my HIC) for internet connectivity on my 2H/2J system for simplicity and sanity. Not surprisingly I've had none of the issues reported by others with multiple links.

Keep the HIC if you have one, yank all other ethernet connections to any Hoppers or Joeys. A single Hopper COULD be used as a bridge, but why bother if you have the dedicated bridge already in place?

A single Hopper COULD be used as a bridge, but why bother if you have the dedicated bridge already in place?
exactly. No point in messing with a perfectly working system. Either way is fine. Just pick one and stick with it.

For those with two Hoppers, the HIC would be the preferred hookup so one Hopper and it's Joeys doesn't depend on the other Hopper for network connectivity.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts