Hopper Internet connector

sam1070

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
yakima wa
Hopper internet connector has anyone used this before I moved to a new place and wifi signal is no more above 30 so I saw that however has anyone managed to get it for free and has anyone used it

Had it since day one. Love it. And my setup is different than mists with the HIC. What do you want to know about it?

+1

I upgraded my dead H2K a couple weeks ago to a HWS and had a tech bring out the new box because it was faster than expedited shipping. When it got to the point of setting up the internet he asked me to get my wifi password. I told him I have a HIC so I don't use wifi. He said he hadn't seen one before.

I have pretty fast wifi but like the reliability of the HIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They also work great in reverse, to provide ethernet connection where there is no Cat wiring.

Reactions: ChadT41
I've also had a HIC almost from day one and have had no problems. I haven't paid attention to the bridging status of my boxes since I got the HIC. Prior to that the Hopper connected to the wifi ethernet port had bridging enabled to enable internet access to the other boxes. I just looked at my Hoppers and found to my surprise that bridging was enabled and that it was the correct setting.I kind of thought it would be disabled because of the HIC, and in the old pre HIC days having bridging enabled on a non ethernet connected Hopper caused problems.

I just looked at my Hoppers and found to my surprise that bridging was enabled and that it was the correct setting.I kind of thought it would be disabled because of the HIC, and in the old pre HIC days having bridging enabled on a non ethernet connected Hopper caused problems.
IIRC, the HIC was available and being installed at the advent of the Hopper release.

Reactions: ChadT41
IIRC, the HIC was available and being installed at the advent of the Hopper release.
My install was done om March 19, 2012, 4 days after introduction. HICs weren't available in my area at the time so one Hopper was wired to the router and bridging was enabled. It worked OK but after a month or so the HICs came in and my system was retrofitted with one.

I had a HIC since they first came out. Freed up cat 5 outlets in some rooms. You can also plug a hard wired device in back of Hopper if needed. Bridging is enabled. My old Hoppers would not allow me to enable it. HIC works like a champ.

You can also plug a hard wired device in back of Hopper if needed. Bridging is enabled. My old Hoppers would not allow me to enable it. HIC works like a champ.
Are you certain of that? I would like that to be true, but I don't think it is. As said earlier, you can use a HIC in reverse, and wire to it, but I don't think you can at the Hopper.

I recommend turning bridging off. I had bridging on since day one with no issues, then about 2 or 3 months ago I had a bunch of issues. Couldn't see my second hopper, joeys not connecting right, DVR playback issues between the whole home. Turned bridging off, and problem went away completely.

Are you certain of that? I would like that to be true, but I don't think it is. As said earlier, you can use a HIC in reverse, and wire to it, but I don't think you can at the Hopper.

3 years ago when my new Hoppers were installed, the tech was having trouble. For some reason I plugged my IP Tester in the back of the Hopper and got a IP. I looked and the tech and said "I can hook something up here". He nodded his head and said yes. It was almost like he didn't want me to know. I haven't played with this since, but will try it again.

Just hooked up my pinger and got an address on both Hopper Ports. Now I connected my Netgear N 300 Wireless Router to the Hopper and I am posting this. Both ports are active.

My Hopper 2K is close to my laptop so I tried it. I disabled the wifi connection and hooked up an ethernet cable to the top port in the Hopper. I'm posting this thru that connection
Laptop -> H2K top ethernet jack -> MOCA -> HIC -> Router -> Modem -> Internet . Bridging is enabled. The Laptop doesn't show in either the broadband or MOCA settings.

I'm posting this one using the bottom connector on the Hopper while watching a show on the other Hopper. All seems well. I can websurf big pages like Yahoo, TMZ etc with no degradation in the Hopper video and did verify that the wifi was disconnected by pulling the ethernet cable and losing internet.

Conclusion - it works.

However ..... I disabled bridging and did lose the ethernet connection and when I re-enabled bridging I had a black screen until I turned the box off and on again. Also when I re-enabled bridging I got a different assigned IP than the normal one. When I did a network reset it restored the IP address. So it works but it's best to keep bridging enabled to avoid some minor glitches.

Bottom line for my Bedroom Hopper. I no longer need the cat 5 connection from my switch and have two more connections from the Hopper. Used to need the cat 5 connection for my old Dish Box. Three unused connections. But a good thing if I ever need them. HIC is a good thing to have.

I've been curious about the advantage of having a hic.
I have a duo node, hws connect to router via cat6, h2k and 2 joeys.
All of the hoppers/joeys connect to the duonode via rg6 and to the internet via Moca thru the hws cat6 router connection?
What would I gain by adding a hic?
Isn't it redundant due to hws acting as hic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)