This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Hopper issues...upgrade or replace?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I currently have 2 hoppers. One with sling and the other is an original hopper that I've had since they came out. I've considered in the past upgrading that hopper to a hopper with sling but I've never pulled the trigger. Now I'm starting to think the original is about to go out completely. DVR shows are almost unwatchable because of screen freezes and sometimes it takes 30 seconds to a minute to do anything when I hit certain buttons on the remote. Here's my question. Would I be better off calling tech support and having them replace it? Any chance they would replace it with a hopper with sling? Or should I just call and upgrade? Is there currently a charge to upgrade? And if I upgrade now, would that have any effect on possibly upgrading again when the hopper 3 becomes available?

And if I upgrade now, would that have any effect on possibly upgrading again when the hopper 3 becomes available?

That part would probably be my biggest concern, though who knows how soon until Hopper 3 will actually be available. My guess is calling tech support would net another original Hopper as a replacement...they usually replace like for like.

I'd suggest shooting a PM to one of the DIRT members rather than calling. They'll be able to check your upgrade options and even set it up, should you decide to do so. Looks like none are online now, but one or two will probably be online shortly.

You could always just upgrade (to Hopper 3) one at a time, like you are considering now.

No, there's no limit, but how much it will cost you out of pocket is likely affected. Each upgrade will re-up you on a 2-year contract and if you're outside of that 2-years, you can usually get a new receiver for free or not much $. If you're under 2 years, the receiver(s) will cost a bit more, I think.

As for a replacement due to a failure, as others have mentioned, you will most likely get the same model. It's possible you could end up with a Sling-enabled model, but do not count on it happening. If you have a tech do the replacement, I think your odds do improve on getting a Sling version though.

You buy and upgrade equipment any time you want without a commitment.
Correct?
You guys are talking about leasing, or free upgrades from Dish.

KAB, I remember hearing something about that, but that wasn't in effect when I got there in 2011. Last I knew, there is not really a time period.