Hopper/Joey connection question

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I've been bringing a Hopper with me in my trailer for DVR playback, but next trip I want to connect a Joey as well. I've yet to be at a campsite where I've had LOS to the south, so I haven't setup my 1000.2 with single node yet. Can I run coax directly from the Hopper to the Joey, or do I need to use a tap or node?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've been bringing a Hopper with me in my trailer for DVR playback, but next trip I want to connect a Joey as well. I've yet to be at a campsite where I've had LOS to the south, so I haven't set up my 1000.2 with single node yet. Can I run coax directly from the Hopper to the Joey, or do I need to use a tap or node?
You'll need a Solo Node, but you have a couple of wiring choices:

If you don't have a rooftop Winegard Traveler, ignore it in both drawings. Also, you wouldn't need AB switches in the first drawing or a 2nd Solo Node as shown in the second drawing.

Thanks TW - I have a solo node so I could connect the Hopper & Joey through it easily enough. I thought I might be able to get away with connecting them through a tap or even a direct line since there won't be any antenna involved most of the time.

I suspect a tap will work as well as a node. A direct line will put voltage on the Joey that it might not like.

Thanks rglore, I should have remembered the voltage as I've used cheap signal meters and they were getting power from somewhere. Good thing you commented before I went all ID10T.

Last edited:
To close the thread, as rglore thought it would, the tap worked just fine. I'll wire up the solo node anyway, and run a wire out of the trailer - I doubt the trailer factory external antenna connection is up to the specs needed for MOCA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)