Hopper/Joey: I'm not happy just quite yet

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I replaced a 722/622 for 2 Hoppers/1 Joey) 4 days ago (my Hoppers are S234 firmware). Where to begin. Initially, my EHD with my precious recordings wasn't recognized. No one told me it would take 24 hours for a "home key" to be distributed to my system so I could use it (it took less and all my recordings were there). My Joey links to both Hoppers, I'm told it should only link to one. Maybe it will be Ok, who knows. My "family room" hopper has the EHD, Ethernet/Internet, and PTAT enabled. Next day it loses the EHD, a reboot fixes that. Then halfway through a DVR playback it loses sound. A reboot fixes that. Then the Joey loses it's links, a power cycle gets it linked (to both Hoppers) again. Then the upstairs "living room" Hopper cannot replay recordings from PTAT on "family room". "You need Internet on both hoppers" she tells me. Ok, I hook it up. Still doesn't work. Second CSR asks me if they each have different IP addresses or the same one. Really? Are you kidding me? The fix is finally determined, the two hoppers were not bridged - the option wasn't enabled. Not sure if it was not done by installer or if it just lost it like half the other problems.

So, what I think I've learned is, don't expect your EHD to work right away. Only one Hopper needs Internet, and if you want to share recordings between hoppers check to see if bridging is enabled (I think only on one of them). And don't expect the install to go quickly. I had everything pre-wired and all wires labeled, but the initial software install on both Hoppers had to be done twice, and one also hung up at 95% program guide download, as others have reported.

My install included a new 1000.2 antenna, nice! I was able to remove about 200' of various and sundry cables, nice! I got rid of two old dishes and the clunky power injector along with the DPP44, nice! The learning curve is a little more than I expected, but then I'm the guy who installed Windows 8 and had to Google how to shut down the machine:eek:. I'm impressed with the system's potential. I particularly enjoy the picture on the 32" Sony Bravia that was fuzzy with 110' of component cabling (go figure) but sharp as 1080p can be off the Joey. I'm underwhelmed with the provided reference material, the diversity or lack of what I'm told by Dish employees, and the instability of the system in general.

I'm confident this will all be worth it, despite the early hassles. But I wouldn't recommend scheduling an upgrade the day before Superbowl, either. It would be appreciated if some of the local gurus could point out my mistakes and post a checklist for newbies to perform (and the menu steps to get to them!), or point out the FAQ or configuration guidelines I missed. Thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)