Hopper / Joey Internet Connection Question

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I am pretty sure will be having a three Hopper, three Joey install next month. All six Hopper / Joey locations have Cat5 inputs to my router. However, each location goes through three switches before eventually pluged into my router. Will this be an issue going through so many switches before reaching the router or will I have to have a HIC? If I have a HIC it will still need to go through two switches before reaching my router.

First off as you may or may not be aware, you will have to purchase that third Hopper.

As for Internet connectivity, the best way to do it is either through the HIC or through Hopper bridging. With the HIC you just connect the HIC to Ethernet, then to the MoCA network and it supplies all receivers with Internet through MoCA. With Hopper bridging, you connect a single Hopper to Ethernet, enable bridging, then it shares it's Internet connection with all the other receivers via MoCA.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Hopper doesn't really like to have all the receivers Ethernet-connected. You could try it, but if random issues arise (freezing and the likes,) you may be better off with HIC or Hopper bridging. As far as the switches are concerned. I don't think that any amount of properly-installed switches would make a difference.

First off as you may or may not be aware, you will have to purchase that third Hopper.

As for Internet connectivity, the best way to do it is either through the HIC or through Hopper bridging. With the HIC you just connect the HIC to Ethernet, then to the MoCA network and it supplies all receivers with Internet through MoCA. With Hopper bridging, you connect a single Hopper to Ethernet, enable bridging, then it shares it's Internet connection with all the other receivers via MoCA.

OK, thanks. I would rather use the bridging. So there is no problem if the Hopper goes through three Ethernet switches before it reaches my router? Yes, I am aware of having to purchase the third Hopper. Probably have to pay for another DPP44 switch too.

OK, thanks. I would rather use the bridging. So there is no problem if the Hopper goes through three Ethernet switches before it reaches my router? Yes, I am aware of having to purchase the third Hopper. Probably have to pay for another DPP44 switch too.

You should be able to get the extra DPP44 for free if you have the third Hopper installed at the same time as the other two. Amazon.com has Hopper for $300 btw.

I use the Hopper bridging. Works great. As for the Ethernet switches, as long as they are properly installed, should pose no issues with the Hopper.

You should be able to get the extra DPP44 for free if you have the third Hopper installed at the same time as the other two. Amazon.com has Hopper for $300 btw.

I use the Hopper bridging. Works great. As for the Ethernet switches, as long as they are properly installed, should pose no issues with the Hopper.

The switches work great now with all four of my DVRs going through them (non bridging). I hope I get the DPP44 switch for free too. When I talked with Dish couple days ago they want $449 for a Hopper and they weren't sure if I had to pay for another switch. Next month when I am ready to jump in to this project I will search for the best price I can find.

I went with Two Hoppers and a Joey, then I just back feed the other 5 TVs using the TV2 out method of the old 622s and 722s.
With Joeys costing $84 a year in rental fees this was the best way for me.
All I did was buy an RJ Modulator for $17 at the local hard ware store. It outputs in SD on channel 4. Then I went on ebay a purchase several extra remotes at $10 each (reg $20).
THey all have to watch the same thing, if thats not OK , just Rent an other Joey and maybe share off just 2 TVs off of that one.

I went with Two Hoppers and a Joey, then I just back feed the other 5 TVs using the TV2 out method of the old 622s and 722s.
With Joeys costing $84 a year in rental fees this was the best way for me.
All I did was buy an RJ Modulator for $17 at the local hard ware store. It outputs in SD on channel 4. Then I went on ebay a purchase several extra remotes at $10 each (reg $20).
THey all have to watch the same thing, if thats not OK , just Rent an other Joey and maybe share off just 2 TVs off of that one.

How are you mixing Hoppers, 622s, and 722s? I thought Dish would not do that unless you have a separate account. I plan on using two modulators connected to two hoppers for my home distribution system and purchasing bunches extra remotes.

How are you mixing Hoppers, 622s, and 722s? I thought Dish would not do that unless you have a separate account. I plan on using two modulators connected to two hoppers for my home distribution system and purchasing bunches extra remotes.

Sorry ScottChez, read your post again and realized you did not mean you have a mixed Hopper / 722 account.

3HaloODST, how does having two separate accounts work out for you? I would rather have two Hoppers and one 722k like you have. The 722k would be for kids room only. He could get by with only America's Top 200 package. With two accounts can Dish use the same equipment that the Hoppers will use? I do have a wing Dish 500 that is not being used pointing at 61.5. The coax can be ran straight to his present 722. I should only need this setup for maybe eight months or so as he is expected to move out. Wouldn't all this be a better deal to go with two accounts rather than having to purchase a third Hopper? What do you think?

3HaloODST, how does having two separate accounts work out for you? I would rather have two Hoppers and one 722k like you have. The 722k would be for kids room only. He could get by with only America's Top 200 package. With two accounts can Dish use the same equipment that the Hoppers will use? I do have a wing Dish 500 that is not being used pointing at 61.5. The coax can be ran straight to his present 722. I should only need this setup for maybe eight months or so as he is expected to move out. Wouldn't all this be a better deal to go with two accounts rather than having to purchase a third Hopper? What do you think?

Expensive ;) . Yep you can put other DPP equipment on the spare ports of the DPP44/DPP33. I have the 722k on an EA 1000.4 though. Hoppers are on 1000.2 WA. You could always purchase a 211k and add it to your existing account, save some dough.

Expensive ;) . Yep you can put other DPP equipment on the spare ports of the DPP44/DPP33. I have the 722k on an EA 1000.4 though. Hoppers are on 1000.2 WA. You could always purchase a 211k and add it to your existing account, save some dough.

OK, thanks. I own two 722s so wouldn't have to purchase anything. But, after trying to figure out the bill having two accounts on line in the DishTV site, I think I would be better off with three Hoppers like you have. Did you have to sign up to a two year commitment for the second account?

OK, thanks. I own two 722s so wouldn't have to purchase anything. But, after trying to figure out the bill having two accounts on line in the DishTV site, I think I would be better off with three Hoppers like you have. Did you have to sign up to a two year commitment for the second account?

Yup but the second account is out of contract by now.

What is an HIC?

Where do I enable this "bridging"? My Joey doesn't have internet access (until I plugged in the USB wireless adapter the tech gave me).

Lucky86 is just really smart and an assett to this forum.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts