Hopper/Joey IR?

Chimera

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Reading through the specs it looks like both the Joey and Hopper use UHF remotes, do we know if they both support IR as well? I'm a long-time Harmony user and would be upset if I couldn't continue to use the Harmony in my living room (direct IR to the 722) and upstairs (using the TV2IR adapter).

Thanks

Grahame

Yay! No more TV2IR needed (although the release of that device was a godsend and I praise the Dish tech who came up with the concept!). Thanks Scott.

Scott told us that the UHF remote only sends IR codes to TVs (and receivers, etc.) but does not send Sat controls via IR. But the Hoppers and Joeys will be able to respond to IR commands--just not from the supplied remote.

The Joey doesn't have an UHF antenna hook up. So if all remotes come with uhf in a 1 hopper, 3 joey setup , they will all have to use the UHF antenna at the hopper. 2 of my tvs are 75 feet from the room that will have the hopper with many walls in the way. I had to get an additional receiver closer to the two distant tvs. There were many days the remote signal just did not reach the distant receiver. It would not reach even when I added 20 feet of cable and put the UHF antenna closer to the distant tvs.

The Joey doesn't have an UHF antenna hook up. QUOTE]

Antennas don't have to be external. My guess is the Joey's are internal.

This is correct, the antenna is internal. :)

It comes with a 40.0 UHF remote, but any universal remote will work with it as well, just program it as a standard DISH Network remote using Address 1 and you will be good to go.

Thanks!! I just read the detail Joey specs and it does say internal antenna. That should help my situation. Also the 200 foot run from hopper to Joey seems to help my layout.

Scott,
How many UHF remotes can be linked to the Hopper? The Joey?

I read in another thread that only one can be linked to a Joey. I sure hope that is wrong!!!!!

This was one of the questions I asked at CES, and the answer I was given was it was the same as the 922. I just forget the number they told me. :)

Here is ZachS email text: "Sorry for my delay in responding, I was out of the office the last several days. I got an answer that you will not be able to link more than one remote to a Joey."

Not according to Zach of DIRT. Last week he checked for me and said the answer is only one remote pairing per Hopper or Joey.

Bob

All due respect to Zach, but I can't believe that. I could buy they might have limited the joey, but not the Hopper.

That alone would be a deal breaker for me. We have to have more than one remote in our family and living rooms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts