Hopper Joey Modulator

fharris770

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Georgia
OK, I'm just about ready to move up to a hopper and two joeys from my 722. I still have a few questions that I haven't seen answered in this forum.
First, my hopper will be in family room with big screen HDTV, one Joey will be in home office with HDTV and other Joey will be in Master Bedroom with small HDTV. I also want to mirror the MBR to a small old set in the master bath. I will be purchasing a modulator for the hopper, but will this work? I don't have any problem with my 722 because I use the modulator out (with a 10db amp) to send the tuner one signal (73) and the tuner two signal (75) to several older sets around the house. I have seen several post about only being able to mirror live TV??? Exactly what gets broadcast through the hopper composite ports?

Secondly, what does the hopper / joey deliver in resolution -- 1080 or 720? and what happens if I purchase an OTA module for the hopper -- will I lose the "true" HD that I get from my OTA when it is directly input to my HDTV bypassing the old 722? I can really tell a big difference only when watching sports like football OTA rather than through the 722.

A modulator will work with the composite outs from the Hopper and Joey. The composite outputs are merely alternate connections. They mirror what the HDMI outputs (or component, in case of Hopper). Resolution is 720p or 1080i. OTA module is exactly that...OTA signal and tuner through the Hopper. Works the same as the OTA tuner in the 722...do not know why you felt you had to bypass it. No difference.

for some reason I was unable to display the OTA channels using my 722. When I attached the OTA feed to the 722 input and did a search it found the locals, but could not display them It could for instance tune the old channel 02,but not the digital channel 02.1

As I was about ready to upgrade to hopper, I just settled for using the OTA antenna as a backup on my main TV when we had bad weather, etc.

When I attached the OTA feed to the 722 input and did a search it found the locals, but could not display them It could for instance tune the old channel 02,but not the digital channel 02.1
I think you may be confused. The ViP722 (and any other recent OTA tuner product from DISH) CANNOT see or tune "old channels" (there are very, VERY few of them left). It is limited to tuning DTV channels by design.

An explanation of what you mean by "could not display them" is absolutely in order.

I believe with a 722 set in dual mode, the OTA channels are not available on the tuner 2 output, only on the tuner 1 output.

[h=3]VIP 722 and Local OTA Digital Channels[/h] by fharris770 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:42 am
I just added an OTA antenna outside. When directly attached to my HD TV it finds multiple channels. All four network affiliates as well as about 8 others. The signal strength of the local varies from about 70% to 98%. All display and look great on the TV. When I attach the antenna to my Dish receiver and do a search it does not find any of the channels. The receiver is old so I don't have the complete manual, but I did notice it seems to page through just the 2 digit channels from 02 through 69.
Anybody out there who can give me an idea, or is the tuner not capable of tuning the 02.1, 05.1, 11.1 etc???

fharris770 Posts: 2Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am Top

[h=3]Re: VIP 722 and Local OTA Digital Channels[/h] by pjw1967 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 pm
Jumping in before our hosts, but I have a 722 non-k with the built in OTA module. The receiver is at least 4 years old if not older. The 722 picks up most of the OTA channels. I use a splitter to feed the TV directly and the line up is about the same. When you hook it up directly to the TV, does it pick up the secondary channnels like 8.2, 8.3 etc?

pjw1967 Posts: 39Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:02 pm Top

[h=3]Re: VIP 722 and Local OTA Digital Channels[/h] by fharris770 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm
I have similar setup. The OTA antenna has a power base that allows you to move the antenna as well as boosts the signal and it has two outputs. One goes directly to the TV the other directly to the ANT port on the back of my 722. I assume I also have the module referenced as there is the scan function in the menu options.
Yes, the TV direct scan found multiple channels. 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 were all local PBS OTA channels. 17.1 is the TBS feed, etc. All had very good signal strength. The 722 just did not find any of them.

fharris770 Posts: 2Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am Top

[h=3]Re: VIP 722 and Local OTA Digital Channels[/h] by Raymond G. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:41 pm
DISH equipment will not detect the OTA sub channels. If you would like to be able to access the OTA sub channels you will need to connect your OTA antenna directly to the TV.
Raymond Gonzales
Social Media Representative
DISH
Sunday-Thursday
2:45pm-11:15pm

Above posted from DISH NETWORK forum last November. Not really sure exactly what I did last November, but really doesn't matter now. I am ordering Hopper, etc. But according to the tech from that forum the OTA in my VIP722 will not turn subs. I seem to remember that after a scan some of the found locals appeared in my guide, but displayed in YELLOW and my 722 (not a 722K) would not tune them.

fharris770, you have your locals set up for cable, not Off Air.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. After looking around some through the menu system I found that the "HDTV Setup screen" (menu, 6,8) had a setting for "Analog Type" and there you could chose between offair and cable. After selection offair and running the channel scan again, It found 35 local channels.

I appreciate your knowledge and help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)