Hopper & Joey questions?

Thanks to all for the quick replies for the EHD question. Looking forward to making the change as soon as it becomes available. Looks like I can remove my DP44 switch and replace with the Duo Node for the Hopper(s) and the Joeys. Does the Node require a power inserter like the DP44? Also anxious to see when the OTA tuner via USB will be available.

lol, i had to push my green button to find out what that did. i have never used that since i got my 922 1 1/2 years ago. lol
It does the same thing on Hopper.
Looks like I can remove my DP44 switch and replace with the Duo Node for the Hopper(s) and the Joeys. Does the Node require a power inserter like the DP44?
The Node does not replace the switch. The Solo Node takes 2 lines from a DPP switch to feed 1 Hopper and the Duo Node takes 3 lines to feed 2 Hoppers. You'll still be using your DPP44 (there is no DP44).

It does the same thing on Hopper.
The Node does not replace the switch. The Solo Node takes 2 lines from a DPP switch to feed 1 Hopper and the Duo Node takes 3 lines to feed 2 Hoppers. You'll still be using your DPP44 (there is no DP44).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (Like I really need to say that) but if I understand this correctly you would no longer have a DPP44 in the new setup as your dish would also be replaced with a 1000.4 which has the switch in the LNBF. The only reason I can see to still have a DPP44 in the mix would be if you were also going to maintain legacy equipment as well.

Why would you need a switch? You should only need two cables from the LNB to the single node and three cables from the LNB to the dual node.

What you're calling "the LNB" is actually 3 LNBs with an integrated DPP switch. If you already have a DPP44 there's no need to replace it.

Why would you use the DPP44 at all? When putting in the Hopper I would assume you are also putting up a 1000.2 which would defeat the purpose of the DPP44.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (Like I really need to say that) but if I understand this correctly you would no longer have a DPP44 in the new setup as your dish would also be replaced with a 1000.4 which has the switch in the LNBF. The only reason I can see to still have a DPP44 in the mix would be if you were also going to maintain legacy equipment as well.

From my understanding DISH will not allow you to mix the Hopper/Joey system with an ViP equipment.

Today you wouldn't need a DPP44 unless you have more than 3 receivers. My main point was if you already have one, maybe for original Dish 1000+ configuration, you don't have to swap it out. The Hopper will work with your existing DPP switch, integrated or external, so there's no need to change anything at the dish except possibly adding a 2nd or 3rd run to the XiP Node.

We have six HDTVs. Four receive HD and two small sets just the SD feed off of the DVRs. Today I use a DPP44 because I have two separate dishes and four dual tuner DVRs with four coax runs into the house. I will be replacing my DPP44 with a DPP33 switch to avoid needing a power inserter once I update to two Hoppers and four Joeys architecture.

Is the only interface going to be the GUI / tile or will there be an option for text based for DVR recordings? SWMBO prefers text based for recorded listings.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

From my understanding DISH will not allow you to mix the Hopper/Joey system with an ViP equipment.

Could very well be, but I hope not. Have RV setup with a 722K for the wife who's job requires her to work assignments from 6-13 weeks at a clip away from home. She uses the MotorHome for housing during those periods and I can turn on/off the 722K which we purchased at will. Makes things nice for her to have all her programming from home while she's working away, not to mention all the moves she has save to EHD. Know I'd love to upgrade at home as soon as possible but no way is that an option if she can't keep the 722k in the motorhome short of setting up a whole new account for it and paying for double the programming.

Would love any clarification on this situation if anyone has any insight.

It MIGHT be possible to have the Hopper system and the ViP211K Tailgater system on one account - one day. Not right off, it seems, and maybe never. I'm thinking Dish may have Hopper accounts, and allow them to have a minimal cost Tailgater account also.

And some people call me a pessimist.

Today you wouldn't need a DPP44 unless you have more than 3 receivers. My main point was if you already have one, maybe for original Dish 1000+ configuration, you don't have to swap it out. The Hopper will work with your existing DPP switch, integrated or external, so there's no need to change anything at the dish except possibly adding a 2nd or 3rd run to the XiP Node.

Boy I'd really like to get more info on this topic from someone who has technical contacts. Seems what you are talking about wold work. If you think about the wiring drawings that have been shown they show 2/3 runs coming from the dish to the XIP node. Now if we think about this a minute the switch is incorporated in the 1000.2 and 1000.4 LNBFs which one would assume are what are being used in those drawings. Extrapolate that out to a current DPP44 setup and you would assume that you would feed 2/3 of the receiver feeds from the 44 to the XIP node. Even in a 2 hopper install that would leave 1 port that should allow attachment of another receiver say 722, which of course would not be able to partake in the Hoper's tuners nor whole house DVR but still would allow for a mixed environment.

Anyone got info to yea or nay if technically this would work?

It MIGHT be possible to have the Hopper system and the ViP211K Tailgater system on one account - one day. Not right off, it seems, and maybe never. I'm thinking Dish may have Hopper accounts, and allow them to have a minimal cost Tailgater account also.

And some people call me a pessimist.

And if that's the case someone at Dish is going to have to tell my wife she's loosing all her recordings while she's on the road. Oh and they'll do that once I've taken cover in a bunker somewhere. What the say about Redheads isn't just a rumor!!! :rant:

If you have a receiver that is compatible with an EHD you could transfer your recordings on to that and then put them on the Hopper.

If you have a receiver that is compatible with an EHD you could transfer your recordings on to that and then put them on the Hopper.

Yea that was covered in another thread that EHDs from current receivers, except the 211K, would work on Hopper. My point was if the only way that Dish allows VIP gear on an account with Hopper is via 211k tailgaiter then the wife is going to be spitting bullets as my dear old aunt would say. She'll not be able to use current EHD from 722k with 211k

Dish Network not wanting VIP's on the account is probably due to several reasons. (1) prevent account stacking (2) no mix and match of switches / incompatabilities (3) make more money for those that have rv's requiring another account (4) charge for that second tv (TV2) on the first receiver in which they currently do not charge for (5) keep customers happy with a setup where all tv's have HD and DVR capability preventing them from switching providers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)