Hopper knows location?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jay B

Original poster
Oct 12, 2020
Just had to schedule a tech visit. I rearranged my family room and moved my TV, Hopper, etc to the other end of the room, using a different power outlet. Dish support says they or the Hopper knows what outlet it's plugged into and changing it will keep it from acquiring a signal? Is this true? How does it do this? Or are they just blowing smoke?

Just had to schedule a tech visit. I rearranged my family room and moved my TV, Hopper, etc to the other end of the room, using a different power outlet. Dish support says they or the Hopper knows what outlet it's plugged into and changing it will keep it from acquiring a signal? Is this true? How does it do this? Or are they just blowing smoke?
Hoppers are connected in a specific way. It doesn't know what room it's in, but it "knows" which cable it's connected to because it's a dedicated cable form the Hub/Node to the Hopper.

What about a wired Joey?
Everything on a Hopper system is wired in a specific way. One of the mistakes people make is equating a Hopper System to a cable system where, in many cases, every outlet in the house is "active" running off of splitters with cables to each room. Hoppers are wired to outlets actually being used and the output ports on the "splitters" et al can only be used for specific devices. Joeys form Client ports, Hoppers form Host ports.

Everything on a Hopper system is wired in a specific way. One of the mistakes people make is equating a Hopper System to a cable system where, in many cases, every outlet in the house is "active" running off of splitters with cables to each room. Hoppers are wired to outlets actually being used and the output ports on the "splitters" et al can only be used for specific devices. Joeys form Client ports, Hoppers form Host ports.

OK, so if I wanted to move my Joey to an outside TV temporarily it would work only if I extended the cable from the same location on the splitter?

Reactions: HipKat
OK, so if I wanted to move my Joey to an outside TV temporarily it would work only if I extended the cable from the same location on the splitter?
No, you can move the Joey just fine with a new coax from the splitter near the hub. You just can't move the Hopper the same way.

You didn't tell us why you had to do that. Is the Hopper still working in it's new location?
The hopper was working, just no signal. Tech found bad cable outside. No problem after that. Tech rep was definitely in it for the money if he gets bonus for upselling. Will have to see what shows up on my bill.

The hopper was working, just no signal. Tech found bad cable outside. No problem after that. Tech rep was definitely in it for the money if he gets bonus for upselling. Will have to see what shows up on my bill.

For upselling??? What do you think is going to show up on your bill?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts