Hopper Limit series recordings -- BUG

Leonard Miller

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
Camden, AR, 71701
I know. I'm new here and probably shouldn't make such a bold statement.

I have a Hopper with Sling, 1 Super Joey, and 2 Joeys. Yes, I'm a novice to DISH, some 2 months. But I gave up DirecTV after 21 1/2 years. However, to solve my recent DISH problem, DISH sent out their field tech to set up the new Hopper they had shipped to me a few days before. It would not install based on their scripted program. The technician had the same problems, bad signal, he said, but finally got going after some 2 house of diligence.

The problem at the root of my call for help?

Go to settings, DVR Timer Defaults, Max. events to keep. I originally had set that Max to 3 and kind of forgot all about it. Weeks later I noticed by pressing DVR button that my series records had gone wild -- Duck Dynasty had stored some 55 recordings, PGA tour, a dozen or so, and on and on.

Long story short, phone tech help couldn't solve it and sent out the new box. Well, the default setting was 20 so I again set it to 3 some 4 days ago. Did the new box help? Nope: Currently, Duck Dynasty has 4 recordings so it has already exceeded the limit of 3.

It didn't really surprise me because what I learned yesterday. I remembered my nephew nearby also has DISH, a similar installation. I went over there and checked out his recordings and his limits. He had no idea there was a limit setting so his was at the default of 20. However, one of his programs on the History channel had already accumulated 51 programs.

Evidence that the limit setting doesn't work.

If I had gone to my nephew's before I called DISH for help I wouldn't have bothered them. Not only did it cost DISH hundreds of dollars in equipment and labor, it cost its customer (me) a half day of inconvenience. It's a good thing I'm retired and no longer in the work force or I'd have lost some valuable earnings for that time. Plus, we lost all our prior recordings that were on the "old" Hopper. Yes, the series settings were restored, but several were not.

DISH could save themselves much grief by directing this problem to their programmers and not be deluded into thinking a new piece of hardware will solve all problems.
Len

ps: Before signing up to this forum I was able to find a similar thread from last October or November. I would have posted to that thread but couldn't find it again. Sorry for that.

There was no reason to lose the old recordings when you got the replacement Hopper, all you had to do was transfer them to an ext hard drive. Might be something to remember with this new one, it's simple to do.

Welcome to SatGuys!

This is kind of a sanity check question...you say you changed the default limit from 20 back to 3, but did you also change the limit for your existing timers (i.e. Duck Dynasty) to 3, or did you leave them as how you had them setup prior? Reason I say this...the default limit is the number applied to any new timers created after that default had been set; however, changes to the default do not retroactively change the limit on timers created before then. Once a timer is created, the max number of recordings is set based on the default setting at that time, and does not change for that timer, unless you edit that specific timer.

you say you changed the default limit from 20
If the max # (default) is (20), he should never had ended up with (55) recordings of Duck Dynasty, irregardless of when he reduced the max to (3) though.

I've never changed the overall max # but have set individual timers to a smaller number. With the default of (20), I shouldn't have 20+ of anything but I have seen more in the past. Not sure if I have more than that with any program at the moment, but will check shortly.

I've got a few timers like Jeopardy and some news shows set to save only 1 episode. They usually work right and only 1 episode is saved. Very, very occasionally an extra episode will show up. :)

"There was no reason to lose the old recordings when you got the replacement Hopper, all you had to do was transfer them to an ext hard drive. Might be something to remember with this new one, it's simple to do."

I happened to have my external HD free to use for this purpose since I am now storing my files on cloud so I decided to give that a try. Another waste of time and effort, not just mine but the phone tech who was trying to take me through the scripted steps. The hopper system recognized my disk but just couldn't take it to the final stage of saving the files. As an aside, when the field tech arrived he conceded that he had tried the external hard drive saving technique with no success.

"Reason I say this...the default limit is the number applied to any new timers created after that default had been set; however, changes to the default do not retroactively change the limit on timers created before then. Once a timer is created, the max number of recordings is set based on the default setting at that time, and does not change for that timer, unless you edit that specific timer."

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here. When I received the new box there were zero shows recorded. I then immediately set the default from 20 to 3. Further, I have never, ever, used those individual program timers. I assume (incorrectly?) that those timers can override the defaults, else it would be foolish otherwise.

Did you transfer timers form old reciever to the new one? Or did you go through the guide(after 72 hours) and setup a whole new timer, verifying that it is set for save 3?

He's new to Dish - he first saw this issue with the original receiver. It continued with the replacement.

As he says, the default # for all timers is (20), which means we should never have more than (20) recordings of a show. I have had more than (20) myself in the past (none currently though). I have never changed the # for all timers although I have reduced the number for individual timers. I can't say I've ever seen it exceed the # I picked.

It almost appears that the default # for all timers simply isn't being followed (my experience, the OP's, and his friends').

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)