Hopper Limit?

emdev2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
I know that you cannot mix hopper receivers with other models unless it's a 211. My question is, is there a limit to the amount of hoppers you can have on the account? I now have 4- vip922's, a vip622, and a 211. Can I replace them all with 6 hoppers if I buy them? My biggest issue is my 922's have 4 tuners, my 622 has 3 tuners and the 211 has 2 tuners plus the dvr function. I need to have a bunch of tuners because the family records a lot of tv.

So far the max I have seen that works is 3 Hoppers. You have the buy the 3rd one, but can lease the other 2.

I also record a lot of TV so I understand your concern. Keep in mind that most cable type channel shows are rerun incessantly so you can schedule recordings at odd times of the night and day so the recording contentions are kept to a minimum. I never watch a show live and get all the shows recorded that I want.
?

Yes. What I do is intentionally set a "All New Episodes" recording of a Cable channel show at the time of the first airing, knowing there are no tuners available. Then I let the receiver find and record that episode of the show at another time, usually later than night, sometimes a day or two later.

The most hoppers I've seen on an account is 4,
Anything over two you will need to purchase because two (due to the six tuner limit) is the most that they will lease.

You could do 4 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. I have 4H/1J and they can all see each other and share recordings. Your best bet would be to buy 2 Hoppers, then set up 2H/2J with Dish and they will set everything up for you. You will need either one of my schematics or one of the several posted here since I originally posted the first one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

5 purchased Hoppers may be reasonable. You could get that off one 1k2 and two DPP44 with two duo nodes and a solo node. They may be able to communicate by connecting client ports of the nodes together (works with two solo nodes), but I have not tried it with more than two Hoppers

I'm not sure, but I believe that the nodes don't like being put on the same port as the power inserter. So three DPP44s may be required for 5 Hoppers (if Dish lets you activate 5 Hoppers.)

All Hoppers see each other when you connect the client ports of the nodes together.

In theory you can trunk 3 DPP44 switches. From each switch you can feed one duo node (1st port for power inserter the other 3 to node) so seems like 6 hoppers is possible. Dish allows 6 tvs connected per household without going through extra hoops as long as you purchase the equipment. Now, they don't "like" going with hoppers only, so you may need to buy any hopper past 1st one.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't have a problem with buying the equipment. I just want to make sure that it is possible to hook up and if Dish would have any problem activating the equipment?

My setup now I have a 1000.2 dish 110, 119, 129 and a wing dish 61.5. I have all this going to two DP44 switches. So I can keep all the equipment and just add another DP44 switch?

You would have to make sure that all of your runs to potential Hopper locations are 3Ghz tested RG6.

Last edited:
PM DIRT and ask them. Count your tuners again too cause with VIP receivers last digit of their symbol stands for number of satelite tuners. You may extend it adding OTA tuner. Same goes for hoppers. So VIP's ending with 2 have 3 tuners max and hoppers with OTA module have 4. Count how many you have cause per my calculations if you include OTA you have max 17. So including OTA for hoppers, 5 of them will exceed what you have now.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Also, keep in mind that if you record a lot of the big 4 local network TV channels, you would save tuner space by being able to record up to 4 shows at once on a single tuner, any time of day. That may reduce your tuner needs and you may be able to get by with just 3 hoppers.

I don't have a problem with buying the equipment. I just want to make sure that it is possible to hook up and if Dish would have any problem activating the equipment?

My setup now I have a 1000.2 dish 110, 119, 129 and a wing dish 61.5. I have all this going to two DP44 switches. So I can keep all the equipment and just add another DP44 switch?

Sure can!

Here are some numbers that may be helpful :-

1 Hopper is 3 sat tuners, can record up to four hd locals at once on a single tuner. So that'sup to 6 channels at once. Add the OTA module and you have up to 7 channels at once.

# Hopper(s) | # SAT | # OTA | Total Tuners | Total Possible Channels

1 3 1 4 7

2 6 2 8 11

3 9 3 12 15

4 12 4 16 19

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)