Hopper madness

jaymerkramer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 22, 2006
Yesterday I had my system which had 2 VIP 622 units and 1 VIP 612 upgraded(changed out) to a 2 Hopper 3 Joey system. The installers spent almost 9 hours for the upgrade!! They said they had to remove my 44 switch and replace the Dish 1000+ on the roof as well. After several hours of not being able to get the basement hopper working they determined that one of the existing coax runs to the roof were bad even the though is has worked for 8 years. They then determined that a second coax was bad as well. At this point they decided to move the dual node from the nice centrally located room that all of my coax and cat6 drops run to and move it outside. After finding that they still couldn't get it to work they determined that the dual node was bad so ran to the office to switch it out. They finally got both hoppers working and left the switch outside dangling nicely down the side of the house! If they would have just ran 5 more feet of cable from the dish it would have been in the house at least. They ran one hopper all on its own off of the dual node, the other hopper they ran a Tap off of the dual node, have the host port of the tap going to the second hopper and the client port going to 2 way splitter. One port of the splitter goes to a Joey and the other port of the splitter going to another 2 way splitter which feeds both remaing Joey's. Tonight when prime time anytime kicked in it locked up one of the tuners and wouldn't let me watch anything on the big 4 networks, if I tried to tune to one of the them I would get a Sat Lost signal. I rebooted and the primetime anytime started working and recording, my wife had one Joey on another tuner but the remaing tuner says SIGNAL LOST. It is like the Hopper isn't capable of all 3 tuners working if Primetime anytime is running. Does this sound like they have this installed wrong and the 3 Joeys and 1 Hopper all running back to the Dual Node on a single coax is perhaps screwing it all up? I would just hook it all up like I think it should be but the idiots cut the cables that they thought were bad outside now so I can't correct it. Now the second Hopper in the living room just went to a black screen, I have sound but no picture. I don't want to reboot it because it has recording going on. Sorry for the long post here but wanted to see if anyone else has had similiar problems like this or if it is my install causing the issues.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
It's a little hard to gasp everything you posted but it sounds like it is connected alright. It may not be the optimal way of installing it but I think it should still work. We'll probably need to disect the problem a little more yet in order to determine the problem.

jaymerkramer

Aug 22, 2006
I ran another check switch last night and the 3rd tuner came back to life but popped up a warning of LNB drift on 2 satellites. I wonder if the new Node they installed came out the batch that has been effected by the cold weather. Dish is sending a tech out to move the node back inside and clean up the wiring.

jaymerkramer

Aug 22, 2006
Does the node have a black dot? If not then you need one with a black dot or a change to your LNB. The details are posted in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/299350-Cold-Weather-issue/page15?highlight=cold+weather+issues post #85.

The node DOES have the black dot on it so it should be fine. I am still going to have Dish move it inside. It is only 5 feet away from being in the basement anyway, not a big move. Last night both receivers recorded PTAT with no issues and all tuners worked correctly. Temps are supposed to plummet here tonight and the the next few days so I will see if that affects it at all.

thxtech

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 24, 2011
From your description you have 3 passive devices hooked to the node: 1 tap and 2 splitters. You can only have 2 devices and Hopper Internet Connectors (if you have one) count towards that total. So remove the second splitter as a test and see f that helps. If so, call them back out to make it right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)