HOPPER or 722K?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rstaples312

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Kentucky
I am considering the Hopper, AGAIN. I continue to get conflicting information from the CSR'S at Dish so I am posting here to get clarification. BTW, I currently have a 722K with dual off air tuner so I can record two off air and two Satellite programs simultaneously. My questions:

1. How many simultaneous Sat programs can the Hopper do? Dish tells me only three but the ads claim 5? What is up with that?
2. Does the off air tuner add on tuner only record one channel or two as my 722k?

My DVR fee would go up $5 per month ($7 to $12) with the Hopper and my TOTAL simultaneous recording ability stays at 4 programs with the Hopper. The Hopper looks great, but unless I am missing something, other than commercial skip, sling, and a slick interface, it does not buy more recording flexibility than my 722k. I hope I am mistaken.
Thanks
Richard

Use the thread "Hopper Upgrades".a DIRT member will answer all these questions and also be able to get you switched to Hopper if you so desire.
Dan

The Hopper has 3 tuners but can record up to 6 programs using Prime Time Anytime. When using PTAT, 2 tuners can record any show and the 3rd tuner records the 4 major networks during prime time. If you have an OTA module you can record and extra local channel, it's only 1 tuner. So, at it's maximum you can record up to 7 programs.

If you have the 722k hooked up to 2 TVs and want the same set up you would need to have a Joey with the Hopper. The Joey would cost you $7 a month. The Hopper system is more expensive but you would have HD on 2 TVs now, a much larger hard drive, sling ability, the ability to transfer shows to a tablet, the ability to record more shows in some cases and various other features.

The Hopper has 3 tuners but can record up to 6 programs using Prime Time Anytime. When using PTAT, 2 tuners can record any show and the 3rd tuner records the 4 major networks during prime time. If you have an OTA module you can record and extra local channel, it's only 1 tuner. So, at it's maximum you can record up to 7 programs.

Just for clarification, the ability for recording/watching all of the "big four" on a single tuner exists any time of day, it does not have to be during primetime hours.

Prime Time Any Time (PTAT) is only from 7PM to 10PM (Mountain) during the weekdays. It is different on the week-ends. You will need to translate to your time zone.

It records the all "big four" (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) channels using just one tuner. Your 722K could record all 4 also, 2 from OTA and 2 satellite tuners, but all your tuners would be used.

Long story short ... Dish rearranged all the local channels to be sent on one "signal" ... this allows the receiver to only use one tuner. The tuner then splits the individual channels and programs out from there as it is recording.

PTAT can ONLY be used during the "prime time" slot. Hence, during the day, you can only record 3 channels. During the "prime time" slot you can record "6" channels; however, 4 of those channels are through signal and receiver "magic" that requires only one tuner and those channels are ONLY the big four.

The big four channels vary by market or location including the sub-channel that Dish ends up rebroadcasting. Dish typically only rebroadcasts one channel. For example, NBC here has two channels 7.1 and 7.2. Dish only rebroadcasts 7.1 and hence PTAT only captures the one NBC channel.

Edit:

With an Over The Air (OTA) adapter, you could get the other sub channels, in my case 7.2 for example. The OTA adapters run $30. You would need to hook the OTA to an antenna you have in your home/attic/roof. Your OTA adapter in your 722K can record all the sub-channels. Hence, if you typically record off of the "other" sub channels, your 722K may be better off as you have 2 of those tuners. With the OTA adapter on the Hopper, you would only be able to record one sub channel not rebroadcasted by Dish.

Last edited:
PTAT can ONLY be used during the "prime time" slot. Hence, during the day, you can only record 3 channels.

WRONG!!!

When first released single tuner recording of the big four was only during PTAT hours, but for the past six months or so, Hopper has had the ability to watch/record all of the big four simultaneously using a single tuner AT ANY TIME OF THE DAY, with or without PTAT enabled.

I stand corrected! :)

I will have to keep that in mind ... it is pretty rare I need to record more than 3 shows at once during the day though ... but it is good to know I have the option.

The only difference is that PTAT automatically will record it, save it and delete it after 8 days. PTAT shows also have the ability to use Auto Hop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)