Hopper OTA Adapter and Cable Question

cmptrblder

Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
PA
Hello everyone,

I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. I have a Hopper, 3 Joey, Sling, OTA Adapter setup running on my comcast broadband. All my TV's in the house can pickup about 20-25 digital OTA channels just from the cable line but the Hopper OTA can not see any of them. I tried a cheap HDTV rabbit ear antenna to the OTA adapter and the adapter see's 6 channels. Would I be better off just putting up a outside antenna and does anyone have a suggestion for a antenna that has a minimum range of 75 miles and doesn't look like my grandparents massive pidgin perch.

Thanks for your help.....

The Hopper OTA tuner is for Over The Air channels that are transmitted in ATSC format. Cable TV channels are not in ATSC format, but are either analog NTSC or digital QAM. The Hopper OTA tuner is not compatible with either NTSC or QAM and cannot receive cable channels.

There are many options for outdoor antennas. Start by running a report of available channels and strength on the www.tvfool.com website. This will determine the type of antenna that will be best for your location.

Thank you, I thought that might be the issue but wasn't really sure. I appreciate the info and your time.

I actually got better results at http://antennaweb.org/. Also, check out my current thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/303190-Tired-of-not-getting-quot-local-quot-locals-would-like-some-help!, it may help you. I got the RCA ANT751R, two of them, and work great.
Actually the OTA dongle or module acts like an early version of the 8VSB receivers in that it is very touchy on multipath, where the 8VSB spec changed to correct slight multipath. It is very apparent by my 5 yr old HDTV, which has the later spec and the OTA module. On the TV, there is not a one speckle or pixilation on any of the 20 OTA channels from HI VHF to all the UHF's. On the OTA, MOST of the channels show some pixelation. For such a recent release, I am suprised it does not match the older 8VSB tuners. The OTA in my previous 722 was much better than this module. I have de-selected all of the -01 duplicate channels and only have the sub channels broght in so I do not accidentally watch the poor previous ones. Note: I did 8VSB transmitter maintenance and tuning before I retired 3 years ago next week and I know the OTA signals and what they should look like on a IFR or Spectrum Analizer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)