Hopper ota adapter

sam1070

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
yakima wa
Hello has anyone got the hopper with sling ota and how does it work for you pros and cons of it? And is it exclusive to the hopper or can you use it in a hopper and super Joey system like plug it into the hopper and be able to watch it on the hopper or would I need to get a second hopper to make it work?

I have two HWS and an owned Joey. I have one OTA module plugged into one HWS. The second HWS does not see it, nor does the Joey.

It's a good tuner. And I'm happy with the HWS.

My sling ota usb tuner works ok , but if I had to rate it against my other ota tuners I would rate them this way:

1. Built in ota tuner like on my 722 receiver.
2. Ota module like the dual tuner version for my 722k.
3. Usb ota tuner module like the hopper.

My sling ota usb tuner works ok , but if I had to rate it against my other ota tuners I would rate them this way:

1. Built in ota tuner like on my 722 receiver.
2. Ota module like the dual tuner version for my 722k.
3. Usb ota tuner module like the hopper.
Disagree with all the above. As you should know, it is location, location, location. My Hopper OTA module is by far the best of all three.

Works very well. I live between 2 cities, Rochester and Syracuse NY. I receive all channels with the ota adapter on each of my HWS's. The Joeys see the same. The only epg info that I don't get is info on Ion and quibo. I did not upgrade to the Hopper till the ota dongle was released.

My Hopper OTA module is the best receiver in the house. It will show stations clearly that show up as "No Signal" on other tuners. As mentioned above, all of the OTA stations are included in the guide, too. I'm very happy with it. The only thing I don't like about it is that whenever you scan it deletes your existing station list and starts from scratch. There's no way to add stations to the existing list. When you have stations coming in from several directions, there's no way to get all of them into the list.

Hws + 3j + OgHopper w/usb sling
Usb OTA connected to HWS,
Any joey paired to HWS shows OTA channels,
OgHopper w/usb sling does not show OTA channels.

While Dish does provide guide data for just about all main channels, it does NOT provide guide data for some of the OTA sub-channels. Let us know what city you are in and others can post what the OTA guide data is like.

While I like the OTA module, my only disappointment is that the Hoppers provide for only ONE OTA tuner, and as someone who last had a 722K that provided TWO OTA tuners, it is a bit of a bummer. Still, I do recommend the OTA USB module.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have two HWS and an owned Joey. I have one OTA module plugged into one HWS. The second HWS does not see it, nor does the Joey.

It's a good tuner. And I'm happy with the HWS.
I have one HWS and a Super Joey, they both have the OTA channels. Pretty sure my plain Joey had OTA channels as well.

Does anyone have a problem where the picture from the tuner freezes? Mine works fine except for that. It does it fairly frequently, and the only way to get the picture moving again is to shut off the HWS or turn the channel and then turn it back again.

My two HWS's work fine with the OTA modules. Using small amp'd flatwave indoor antenna's on each because I live about 25 miles from towers. 100% SS on each local and recordings are very reliable.

It shouldn't freeze up unless you are getting drop outs on your station over the antenna. That or you have a crappy ota adapter. I put a distribution amplifier on my antenna signal to up the strength, so I don't get any drop outs anymore on my weaker stations. Anything below 70 used to cause me freezes and yellow sign pops up :lost signal. Now the amplifier has stopped all of this. I got it at Solid Signal for around $16.50 It was an Eagle Aspen Uhf/Vhf/fm distribution Amplifier. It's working so well that I bought another one for my parents 722k ota module. They often get drop outs because they are between two 2 story houses and have large trees in the direction of the towers. Hopefully this will correct the problems they are having with signal strengths going up and down so often on certain channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)