Hopper Poll

Upgrade yes or no

• Total voters
Welcome aboard. I'm thinking if you are interested in a second hopper it might be better to get it now while the promotion prices them at $100 each. If you wait later you might have to pay bust out retail. I would think the communication will come reasonably soon. Just a guess.

Probably a good deal to get the second hopper at a reduced price, but be prepared to wait a while for integration. david_jr may be right that seamless integration will come reasonably soon, and I hope he is, but don't get your expectations too high. This is a complicated piece of software to get working and DISH has a track record of not getting it out quickly.

Thanks. I'll have to give some more thought to getting two hoppers when I do the upgrade.
Being the tech geek I am, I tend to stick with buying new gadgets based on what they can do now, not what they might do in the future. Often it doesn't pan out. Dish's track record(especially the 922) doesn't help here either. And although the extra tuners and hard drive space would be cool, I don't really need it. But on the flipside, I'd be pretty mad at myself if I upgraded with 3 Joeys, then they updated the software so the hoppers could communicate a few weeks later.

I voted "can't wait", but in all honestly I'll probably wait a month or three to see how the bug reports come back. I'd definitely like to have it set up before we open our sunroom for the spring and summer, though -- being able to watch HD in that room would be most welcome.

I will wait until fall and let all the others try it out first. My expeirence is everytime Dish comes out with a new receiver it has to be de-bugged over several months.

My market, Charlottesville, still does not have HD locals (sd only) so Prime Time will not work for me. Without HD locals through Dish the OTA tuner is a deal breaker until it is available.

Are they going to charge for the OTA tuner when it is released?

steve4810 said:
And the sling extender?

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

I know know first hand why it wasn't released, and honestly the reason was reliability.

There is no qos (quality of service)on the Internet even within your own house. What works good one day might studded and buffer like crazy because someone else is downloading something or playing a game.

Add in wifi in the mix and the issue gets worse.

Now with hopper or Joey it uses MoCA who've overcomes all the issues that top/ip has and will give customers a consistent reliable hd experience.

The sling receiver did not give that experience at all. And overall it's probably best it was not released as ultimately it could not deliver the hd experience people would have expected.

I could imagine the complaints here at SatelliteGuys if it was released. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I know know first hand why it wasn't released, and honestly the reason was reliability.

There is no qos (quality of service)on the Internet even within your own house. What works good one day might studded and buffer like crazy because someone else is downloading something or playing a game.

Interesting new spin on that bad news. Of course those of us with GigE throughout the house are (apparently) an insignificant market... :( I'm surprised Dish didn't just release a few hundred Sling Extenders for those of us dying to see TV2 in HD, and then abandon it the next month or so as they did the DTVPal. Oh, I know, I know. Just release it with a 30 day warranty. :eek:

Interesting new spin on that bad news. Of course those of us with GigE throughout the house are (apparently) an insignificant market...

You are not the norm. DISH has to think about what the majority of it's customers has and support those customers. Could you imagine if they released it and everyone starting saying that the HD on TV2 does not look as good as on TV1? DISH needed to make the experience the same for everyone and thats why Hopper and Joey works...

I got to be honest I never thought about this being the reason for its demise, that was until DISH invited me to play and I saw for myself the issue at hand.

As I said I now agree with them for pulling the plug it would have been a nightmare.

The Joey is very much like the Sling extender, but uses MoCA technology instead which takes care of all those issues. :)

I can see that. This board is littered with threads of people trying to get their sling adapter working properly. Dish cannot control folk's home networks, and I can imagine tech support would have been a nightmare, because everyone will have different set ups with different 3rd party hardware. The Hopper/Joey and MoCA allow Dish to control the hardware and thus control the user experience.

Many folks on this Board like to tinker. Most dish customers do not. They just want to turn on their television and have it work.

From what I can tell from many of Scott's posts (because he has had numerous discussions with Dish reps) Dish learned many lessons from the 922 release, that they are determined not to repeat with this release.

Add in wifi in the mix and the issue gets worse.

Now with hopper or Joey it uses MoCA who've overcomes all the issues that top/ip has and will give customers a consistent reliable hd experience.

The sling receiver did not give that experience at all. And overall it's probably best it was not released as ultimately it could not deliver the hd experience people would have expected.

I could imagine the complaints here at SatelliteGuys if it was released. :)

I know that using my sling pro hd box and the sling player app on my google revue unit operates just like what you are describing. Sometimes it works fine and my tv is great. But more than not , the picture will freeze and the sound keeps going . I have to start all over again and start the sling player over. I can see why they didn't release the sling extender too, now .

Sometimes it works fine and my tv is great. But more than not , the picture will freeze and the sound keeps going.

Sorry to hear that. :( But aren't you hardwired? How do you know this isn't just buggy software in the SlingPlayer app or Revue?

For myself, I totally agree on the foibles of WiFi. Bought a Patriot Box Office media player and initially hooked it up in my bedroom with it's factory authorized Patriot WiFi dongle. Without even going to HD streaming, I could sometimes play back DVD rips from my NAS in the basement, and sometimes the bandwidth would go to blazes and I'd have to start over. That got old very quickly, so I gave up and fished cables. My PBO problems have never reccurred.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. :( But aren't you hardwired? How do you know this isn't just buggy software in the SlingPlayer app or Revue?

For myself, I totally agree on the foibles of WiFi. Bought a Patriot Box Office media player and initially hooked it up in my bedroom with it's factory authorized Patriot WiFi dongle. Without even going to HD streaming, I could sometimes play back DVD rips from my NAS in the basement, and sometimes the bandwidth would go to blazes and I'd have to start over. That got old very quickly, so I gave up and fished cables. My PBO problems have never reccurred.

My setup is the following. I use the sling plug to get internet to other rooms in my house near my router in the computer room. I use a direct ethernet connection to an ethernet splitter in the living room. I have my 722k and sling pro hd box hooked up to it directly. In the master bedroom where I try to watch in hd , I have a google revue unit hooked to a 211k with dvr software. From the outlet I have a another plug that feeds internet to the bedroom. From the ethernet splitter in the bedroom I have the 211k and the google revue unit plugged into the internet. So it is hard wired directly in the living room ,but relies on the wiring in the house to feed the internet to the revue in the bedroom using the sling plug . It works but is sporadic. Nothing pisses me off more than to be in the middle of the show and have the picture freeze up . I have to stop and reload the sling player all over again. I don't watch many programs in the bedroom ,but I would if it was more reliable.

Stargazer said:
Were the problems with Sling software issues that they could not get worked out?

They were not Sling issues but tcp/ip issues they couldn't overcome like they thought they could.

I use the sling plug to get internet to other rooms in my house near my router in the computer room. I use a direct ethernet connection to an ethernet splitter in the living room. I have my 722k and sling pro hd box hooked up to it directly. In the master bedroom where I try to watch in hd , I have a google revue unit hooked to a 211k with dvr software. From the outlet I have a another plug that feeds internet to the bedroom. From the ethernet splitter in the bedroom I have the 211k and the google revue unit plugged into the internet. So it is hard wired directly in the living room ,but relies on the wiring in the house to feed the internet to the revue in the bedroom using the sling plug . It works but is sporadic.

Sling Plug =? Slinglink Turbo Homeplug adapter? Noise immunity on homeplug networking is problematic at best. This isn't unshielded twisted pair, it's unshielded big fat "pair" with no twists whatsoever, and a whole lot of potential high-intensity noise. :eek: I actually own a couple of those adapters saved for a rainy day. After your experience, I think I'll keep my GigE network. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts