Hopper Rebooting 2-3 Times a Day

eckmanmj

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
United States
I've had my 1 Hopper/1 Joey setup since the Hoppers first became available, and within the last week, a problem has started where the Hopper starts a reboot cycle 2-3 times a day. Its at random times, not just at the scheduled time around 2am or whenever that is. It happens whether we're watching TV or not. If we're watching TV, the picture will freeze, and the audio will continue a little while longer, then that will stop and it reboots. If we are not watching TV, I can still tell its rebooting, because the fan gets really loud while its rebooting.

I am running build S217 (but dont know when it updated to that). The only other thing thats even remotely related is that Ive also had problems with my cable modem (I have a new one on order). But I cant possibly imagine that that would have any relation to why the Hopper reboots.

Should I call Dish and complain (I hate calling tech support for intermittent problems) or is there hope that the next update will resolve these issues? Previous to this past week, the Hopper was relatively stable (it would randomly reboot maybe 1-2 times a month).

My hopper is having the issue with rebooting often. The rebooting started last Thursday night, then again Friday, then on Sunday. Hasn't needed the red button to be held for five seconds to manually reboot it since Sunday.. I already had a tech visit three months back, and the tech was told to make sure the connections in the box to the switch are screwed tightly together. (Since) all the cabling was new to, and from the Hopper.

The Hopper cannot be replaced unless the hopper locks up or reboots while the tech is on sight as Dish will not allow them to replace it.

The only other thing thats even remotely related is that Ive also had problems with my cable modem (I have a new one on order). But I cant possibly imagine that that would have any relation to why the Hopper reboots.
i don't think we've narrowed down all the strange networking issues that seem to interfere with the H/J system.

i'd try disconnecting H/J from your network for a few days.

If you have a service call make sure the technician checks your power recepticle. They are supposed to check with the recepticle tester to.determine if it is grounded and wired properly.

Insuffecient power distribution causes all kinds of crazy things. Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)