Hopper Remotes

WOW, that's great it is working much better for you. I am going to get out my Radio Shack powered rabbit ears and install one of them there slip on connectors to the coax and then attach it to the Hopper and see how she works.
I have a couple of those slip-on connectors and I'd feel more comfortable using that vs a screw-on connector with the wrong thread. My UHF antenna (a combo, actually) already has the connector though. I do have two sets of rabbit ears that have terminal ends that can be connected to the slip-on connector. Will it, a VHF antenna, work ? Maybe it will....

I can't believe that the inner conductor (stinger ?) is even making a connection with as little thread that I got on.

I have a couple of those slip-on connectors and I'd feel more comfortable using that vs a screw-on connector with the wrong thread. My UHF antenna (a combo, actually) already has the connector though. I do have two sets of rabbit ears that have terminal ends that can be connected to the slip-on connector. Will it, a VHF antenna, work ? Maybe it will....

I can't believe that the inner conductor (stinger ?) is even making a connection with as little thread that I got on.

When I had my rabbit ears connected to two VIP722s I removed the two rods and just used the loop antenna. I think the rods are for VHF and the loop is UHF, but not sure of all that.

Yes, that is correct. That's why I'm not sure if it would work. On the other hand, the distance is so short, that any "metal" may be better.

Yes, that is correct. That's why I'm not sure if it would work. On the other hand, the distance is so short, that any "metal" may be better.

My rabbit ears worked with just the UHF loop and VHF rods removed. When I get a chance to check out my rabbit ears with my Hopper, will test it all out. I would think that any metal would be better too.

The ideal length for a monopole 2.4GHz antenna would be 1 and 4/16 inches. In the case of rabbit ears, being a dipole antenna, the total length should be 2 and 8/16 inches, in other words, both ears should be 1 and 4/16 inches each. If you can get your rabbit ears to shrink that small, that would be ideal. The typical set of rabbit ears has a 7.5 inch loop for UHF. This is about 1.5 times larger than the smallest resonant loop antenna length for 2.4 GHZ (4 and 12/16 inches.) Bigger is better, and even better is the loop will be resonant since loops are resonant at odd integer multiples of a half-wavelength.

If it were me, I'd choose the UHF loop, and remove the rabbit ears, as charlesrshell did. I think that it would perform even better with the proper M10 fitting. High frequencies such as 2.4GHz are sensitive to having proper connectors.

The ideal length for a monopole 2.4GHz antenna would be 1 and 4/16 inches. In the case of rabbit ears, being a dipole antenna, the total length should be 2 and 8/16 inches, in other words, both ears should be 1 and 4/16 inches each. If you can get your rabbit ears to shrink that small, that would be ideal. The typical set of rabbit ears has a 7.5 inch loop for UHF. This is about 1.5 times larger than the smallest resonant loop antenna length for 2.4 GHZ (4 and 12/16 inches.) Bigger is better, and even better is the loop will be resonant since loops are resonant at odd integer multiples of a half-wavelength.

If it were me, I'd choose the UHF loop, and remove the rabbit ears, as charlesrshell did. I think that it would perform even better with the proper M10 fitting. High frequencies such as 2.4GHz are sensitive to having proper connectors.

Installed rabbit ears today with a slip on F-connector and it worked OK about as good as the extension UHF antenna. It worked the same with the two VHF rods installed or removed. Do you know where to purchase them there M10 fittings?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)