Hopper replacement and recordings

eastof111

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
If the installer has to replace a Hopper, is there any way to transfer the existing recordings to the new Hopper or to an external drive?
If it can be transferred to an external drive, does it have to be fat32 or ntfs and will the existing files on the drive be erased by the old Hopper when transferring?

Thanks

You can attach an external hard drive to the hopper and the hopper will reformat it for expanded storage. Any data on the drive will be lost if you choose to allow it to format the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

While almost any external HDD will work (with it's own power supply), if you want to take some of the guess work out of it, you can get Western Digital's DVR Expander 1TB. It is the "official" (marketed for consumers who don't know the few particulars (USB 2.0 for Dish) to ensure an HDD will work with their MVPD's STB) external HDD for Dish, DirecTV, TiVo, and just about any of the cable company DVR's that support external HDD that is guaranteed to work with the listed services. The DVR Expander has all the ports necessary that particular service requires as well as necessary cables and EXTERNAL power supply.

So, I am guessing that you cannot transfer files from the old Hopper to the new Hopper or to a external HD?

So, I am guessing that you cannot transfer files from the old Hopper to the new Hopper or to a external HD?

Three posts after your initial question told you that you can transfer to an external HD. Of course, that depends on what is wrong with your Hopper that you need to replace it. If you can turn on the Hopper and go to transfer recordings, you can transfer the recordings to an external HD.

Word of warning: When I had used that method of transferring to EHD then to new Hopper, most of my recordings were rendered unviewable. It was some kind of bug that seems to have been fixed, as I haven't seen any posts about the issue in a while.

A Dish engineer thought it was due to the original Hopper being on a newer software version than the replacement. (Another reason for each new update to go out to ALL receivers simultaneously). So, you may want to make sure the replacement is on the same or newer SW version. If not, you can still playback the recordings from the EHD until the replacement catches up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)