Hopper speed question

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
So since hopper will have a fast processor in it... Anyone know the response time when changing channels using the guide vs Flipping through channels manually? Do they both have a fast response time? On a CES video I watched the dish guy changed to Espn on the guide and it was instant with no delay. So is it really gonna be that fast or does it depend on your HDTV ? I talked to one dish guy who said everything is fast on the hopper.

I would think there will always be some delay in switching digital channels, as compared to analog channels. In digital, you don't get an entire frame every time, just portions. So there will be a small variable delay while waiting for an entire frame to build up. Less than a second, I'm sure.

Yes there will always be a delay, its a DVR so it means it needs to buffer to the hard drive a little but before displaying a live picture. :)

Did you feel the experience between the hopper and joey were the same? or did you feel some extra delay when using the joey overall?

just curious since the hopper is pretty much serving content for the joey.

From the CES demo, almost TOO fast.

The TOO fast part of the demo was scrolling in the guide. You could hardly read anything since it scrolled by so fast. I don't think there is such a thing as TOO fast when it comes to tuning to channel from the guide or flipping through channels manually.

Lt Disher said:
The TOO fast part of the demo was scrolling in the guide. You could hardly read anything since it scrolled by so fast. I don't think there is such a thing as TOO fast when it comes to tuning to channel from the guide or flipping through channels manually.

The fixed it so you can read the guide now. :)

Yes there will always be a delay, its a DVR so it means it needs to buffer to the hard drive a little but before displaying a live picture. :)

So, should we expect casual channel surfing from channel to channel will be about the same as on a 722, or still faster on the Hopper?

Well it's the fastest processor on the market so I'd imagine that it is able to buffer really quick so even if there's a delay it will be maybe a one sec delay if that. The 722k is around a 3 sec delay between channels so with the new processor in it, it should be pretty much instant.

You figure you can take a day off after you retire? Or die? ;)

I guess in your line of work, Saturday is a big day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)