Hopper system looks outstanding=Picture better than direc?

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
Ive always said that direc tv has had a slight edge on picture.

I have both systems. All equal setups.

I know it makes zero sense but since switching to the new
Hopper system, the dish picture is significantly better than direct?

I like both systems-I have always maintained that dish held the edge on recievers.

I also was told that the software with the new Hopper system is the same
as my old 922.

922 was great. I would not say picture looked better than my HR 24.

As of now dish in my opinion looks better than direc hd! What a surprise.

My wife and I both noticed a PQ improvement with the Hopper vs our previous 722k. And, a few members have posted similar comments here. Why is it better? There are a number of possibilities. Is it actually better, or is it ENCS (emperor's new clothes syndrome)? I'd be interested to hear from Dish on this.

My wife and I both noticed a PQ improvement with the Hopper vs our previous 722k. And, a few members have posted similar comments here. Why is it better? There are a number of possibilities. Is it actually better, or is it ENCS (emperor's new clothes syndrome)? I'd be interested to hear from Dish on this.

lol, i like the emperors new clothes theory. Maybe we are so excited with our new toys we will it to be better.

Who knows, my eyes tell me it looks much better. My direc picture actually looks somewhat washed out
next to the dish picture.

I know others may say its not possible but I switched from directv to Dish Hopper system and HD looks great to me. Even when I watch sports as some have said that's where you see the difference. Watched a bit of basketball on ESPN, looked great! Anyways happy with the system

I know others may say its not possible but I switched from directv to Dish Hopper system and HD looks great to me. Even when I watch sports as some have said that's where you see the difference. Watched a bit of basketball on ESPN, looked great! Anyways happy with the system

Ill tell you I have direc for two reasons. Sports packages and HD picture.
Ive always felt the direc excelled in the PQ area.

Im really shocked at this. Direc always had the better HD picture.
To me it was slight but still noticeable.

better faster chips and video processing in the box. As has been posted by many on this forum, the 722K (and 922) does indeed have a noticeably better PQ than the 722. Any of the "K" have a better PQ than the previous generation of HD boxes. So, Dish probably took advantage of new technology.

As the sign at the car wash where I grew up and first started driving said, "A clean car always runs better!". And, it has always been true to this day!
Less aerodynamic drag due to the removal of the dirt. ;)

I initially was very unhappy with the hopper. thought the PQ sucked. But I swapped out my Tvs and oh my gosh the PQ is amazing! Almost blu-ray! I love it! Thanks Dish, I just hope you get more on demand stuff. Menu could be faster too.

I initially was very unhappy with the hopper. thought the PQ sucked. But I swapped out my Tvs and oh my gosh the PQ is amazing! Almost blu-ray! I love it! Thanks Dish, I just hope you get more on demand stuff. Menu could be faster too.

The menu on the Hopper or Joey. The Hopper menus should be very fast. There is a noticeable difference on the Joeys though.

Yea as a mentioned earlier, going to not get into the better then Directv argument, but the HD picture I am seeing with my Hooper set up is really Sharp! To me its looking just as good as Direct

Last edited:
When I switched to the Hopper, I kept Directv for a week. I had both hooked to the same tv on different inputs. I would watch one, then switch inputs to watch the other. I thought they were very similar. Both HD pictures were very good.

I'm watching stuff off the EHD transferred to the Hopper. Still better PQ than the stuff reordered off the old receivers.

It probably isn't a noticeable difference on 99% of what you watch but the Hopper, if I recall from the tech info we were given, is 1080p, Dish's first.

It probably isn't a noticeable difference on 99% of what you watch but the Hopper, if I recall from the tech info we were given, is 1080p, Dish's first.

No. :)

VIP receivers are 1080P when programming is 1080p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts