Hopper Transfers over VPN?

balthisar

Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
United States
I thought I had this working before I left. Anyway...

I recently upgrade from a 722 with a sling to a Hopper with Sling. Everything is working perfectly, except Hopper Transfers can't seem to see my PVR over a VPN connection. Note that DishAnywhere app still works fine and I can watch PVR recordings from the public internet with no issues. Simply, Hopper Transfers won't detect my PVR.

My VPN is a simple DD-WRT based PPTP VPN. I would consider running an OpenVPN at home as a server and on the remote router as a client, but I've not played around with it yet, and I'm not certain it will work.

Does anyone have any technical details of how Hopper Transfers communicates?

Note: I'm not trying to break encryption, be an outlaw, etc., etc. I simply want to use Hopper Transfers because I can't always get good speeds with DishAnywhere.

Thanks!

I think the hopper transfers is about the same as trying to get an iPad to sync over wifi over VPN. Doesn't really work.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dish could easily layer in various checks to try and prevent this activity, but discovery is probably just broadcast based and PPTP is getting in the way. I don't have HWS, so can't look at the traffic generated.

Do both PPTP server and client pass broadcast traffic? Is the PPTP address pool in the same subnet as the Hopper? I would assume those would be the minimum requirements, if Dish isn't actively blocking it.

Sorry I've not gotten back here. I've not made progress in getting it to work, but what JM42 says seems to be the issue. I have made progress as far as knowing that, yes, I need to pass broadcast traffic into the pipe. The address pool isn't currently in the same subnet, but I plan to do that, too.

Right now I have a dd-wrt router serving as the VPN server in the home location. As soon as I have some time, I'm going to try to experiment with software solutions using a server I have in the house. If that works, I'll see how to replicate it on the dd-wrt. Since I'm currently remote, I don't want to screw up any of the home devices.

Actually something called EoIP seems intriguing, but again, I'll look into that when I have time.
?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts