Hopper tuner question

anex80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Midwest
I'm a new Dish subscriber and recently ran into an issue with my Hopper that puzzled me. I have a Hopper w/Sling, 1 Super Joey, and 1 standard Joey. The tuners in use this morning were as follows:

Tuner 1: TNT (Hopper)
Tuner 2: Boomerang (Joey)
Tuner 3: Available
Tuner 4: HBO (recording)
Tuner 5: NFL (recording)

I was watching Tuner 1 from the Hopper and received a message that it would have to change the channel to start a recording. I said Allow as I assumed it would not change my channel but rather use tuner 3 which was available for the recording. I was wrong. It changed my channel to the channel needed for the recording.

Afterward I was able to tune back to TNT which then used Tuner 3. Shouldn't the hopper have automatically selected tuner 3? Would it have made a difference if I would have said No to the prompt or would that simply result in me missing the scheduled recording all together?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: bspei
Logically, it should have used the unused tuner. Logic doesn't always rule the day.

Any chance that the recordings were due to transition? Even if the upcoming recording is on the same channel as a current recording that is about to end, an iminent recording will use a different tuner so that the lead-in and lead-out margins can be preserved.

Thanks for the quick replies. There weren't any overlaps as the current recordings continued and just the one new one that started. May just have been a fluke.

This is a well documented issue. One work around is to select the third tuner when you start viewing. The glitch is because if you look at the daily schedule, you'll see what tuner it is slotted to fire on. It is almost acting like the tuners are fixed, rather than floating. Locate a DIRT member to submit a trouble ticket for you, is the only long term resolve.

Reactions: Tampa8
The one I have does only have the two outputs and one input because it clearly says right on the Lnb

Let's see it, Because if its a 1000.2EA they have 3 OUTPUTS .
If it a 1000.4 they have 3 Outputs and 1 Input.

But anyway a Solo Node only requires 2 wires from the Dish.
A Duo Node (2 Hoppers) would require 3.
But using a Integrater would require a 3rd wire for the SuperJoey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The one I have does only have the two outputs and one input because it clearly says right on the Lnb

It might be one of the new Hybrid LNB's which do have 2 outputs and 1 input. They are still the exception and not the rule because they're so new.

Hybrd LNB's do not use nodes and can supply all 3 tuners to a Hopper with one wire. You can run 2 Hoppers or a Hopper and a SuperJoey on 1 Hybrid LNB. With a Hub you can add Joeys and other MoCA devices.

As fars as the issue you are having, if im not mistaken the the tuner intially used to set that recording was the tuner you were currently on, hopper will find was to resolve conflicts so that tuner may have very well been the free tuner since tuner 3 may have already had something scheduled to record at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)