Hopper Tuners and Primetime Anytime

But why don't they just let people use it for SD locals too? Do they have a lot of markets where they're not on the same transponder, or something? If not, it seems like another asinine marketing decision with no technical basis.

But why don't they just let people use it for SD locals too? Do they have a lot of markets where they're not on the same transponder, or something? If not, it seems like another asinine marketing decision with no technical basis.

I don't know if there are a lot with this situation, but I know it does exist. Heck, the (SD only) locals for Harrisonburg, VA aren't even on the same satellite (split between 110 and 119).

The entire transponder is recorded.

Are you completely sure about this? It makes absolutely no sense from a design standpoint.

If the entire transponder stream is recorded, that's on the order of twice the bandwidth and storage to lay down ~8 channels vs just the big 4.

It also means that 8x the PLAYBACK bandwidth and processing when viewing one of the big 4 off the DVR. Since there is no restriction (that we know of) on how many PTAT programs can be viewed at once, this implies that ALL playback outputs of the DVR would need this 8x bandwidth plus processing to extract the desired channel.

It makes far more sense to extract each of the big 4 separately BEFORE sending it to the recorder. That way each channel is separate making playback just like any other DVR program. The same goes for trick playback which is using the disk to buffer the stream for pause/skip/fast/slow playback.

The processing to extract 4 separate streams from a transponder is not that much more complicated than extracting one. That is a normal "tuner" would extract 1 stream and throw ~7 away; the special PTAT tuner would extract 4 and throw the other ~4 away. The stream for each channel would be directed into a separate buffer the DVR would pull from.

Are you completely sure about this? It makes absolutely no sense from a design standpoint.

If the entire transponder stream is recorded, that's on the order of twice the bandwidth and storage to lay down ~8 channels vs just the big 4.

It also means that 8x the PLAYBACK bandwidth and processing when viewing one of the big 4 off the DVR. Since there is no restriction (that we know of) on how many PTAT programs can be viewed at once, this implies that ALL playback outputs of the DVR would need this 8x bandwidth plus processing to extract the desired channel.

It makes far more sense to extract each of the big 4 separately BEFORE sending it to the recorder. That way each channel is separate making playback just like any other DVR program. The same goes for trick playback which is using the disk to buffer the stream for pause/skip/fast/slow playback.

The processing to extract 4 separate streams from a transponder is not that much more complicated than extracting one. That is a normal "tuner" would extract 1 stream and throw ~7 away; the special PTAT tuner would extract 4 and throw the other ~4 away. The stream for each channel would be directed into a separate buffer the DVR would pull from.

As someone else said - does it matter? If the space for the whole transponder is reserved, then we probably have a beter chance of seeing more than the big 4 added later on.

Another issue which I have not looked through all the Dish transponders lately is that they used to put secondary channels across other TPs on the spot beam. I was going to look through "The List" but looks like The List has taken another FTP vacation day. So, Dish might not want to open another can of worms with secondary stations in larger markets where they may not be on the same TP as the big 4.

Laddyboy said:
I'd bet it's because they don't want subs complaining that in their market they only get the Big 4 while other markets (with all their locals up) get all their locals archived with PTAT..

bingo we have a winner!

That is the exact reason why. Imagine the bitching if some people started posting that they can record 9 things at once with their setup while others can only record 4. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

bingo we have a winner!

That is the exact reason why. Imagine the bitching if some people started posting that they can record 9 things at once with their setup while others can only record 4. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So Dish is patronizing people who are scientifically illiterate?

Another example of my perennial complaint that people with liberal arts degrees shouldn't be allowed to make technical decisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)